(Archived) Evernote starting in offline mode

Just tried to open Evernote to check a note, and it's starting offline mode. I'm connected to my work's wifi, and I also have a solid (5-bar) EVDO signal. Logging out doesn't fix anything--I can't log in when I'm in offline mode. D'oh!

If you quit our app and re-launch it, does it fix this problem?

Thanks

Nope. Only thing I haven't tried is to reboot my Pre, but I'm expecting a call so I can't do that at the moment. Right now, I'm stuck in offline mode and can't login to create a note, either...

Evernote did the same thing to me. I retried numerous times within roughly 10 minutes with no success. However, the next morning it worked perfectly.

Also, if the Pre is set to Airplane mode, Evernote still tries to connect and you have to wait for the timeout. I was trying to enter a couple of notes quickly and had to wait. I also went to the memo app to put them in.

Just an update: it's working again. I don't know if it's the reboot that I did last night (forgot to check) or just the time, but it's logged me back in successfully.

Obviously some kind of bug. Biggest trick when it happens: don't log out thinking it might fix the problem. If you do, of course, then you lose the ability even to create new notes.

Ok, that's strange. If you quit our app and restart, it should try to connect with Evernote's servers. Can you hit our web site from that same device on that same network? If you can't browse to our web site, that would explain why our app is in Offline mode. If you can get to the web, but the app stays in Offline mode even after closing all of our cards and reopening, then that would be a bug.

Thanks

Ok, that's strange. If you quit our app and restart, it should try to connect with Evernote's servers. Can you hit our web site from that same device on that same network? If you can't browse to our web site, that would explain why our app is in Offline mode. If you can get to the web, but the app stays in Offline mode even after closing all of our cards and reopening, then that would be a bug.

Thanks

If it happens again, I'll definitely give that a shot and report back in.

I've been trying to find a reproducible sequence that causes EN to stay in Offline Mode and it seems to be working OK.

EV was suck in Offline Line mode when I started this sequence.

I rebooted my Pre.

Got EVDO and WiFi running, EV connects fine.

I go to Airplane Mode and EV switches to Offline Mode.

Turn off Airplane Mode and EV connects fine.

I wonder if there was a temporary glitch with your servers.

Ok, thanks for the reports about this networking behavior.

In theory, you shouldn't need to reboot the whole phone, you should be able to just close all of the Evernote cards, but we're still looking into this.

I rebooted my palm pre, it worked fine, and then 20 minutes later, it started in offline mode again. Can't be rebooting 3x an hour.

Same here. Got stuck in Offline. Did not time it.

I've had my Palm Pre for about a month, and I'm having the same problem. For reference, I just tried this out again today while I was at my church. Our church has a public wifi connection, which is good because it's a large steel frame building and I tend to lose a bit of signal when I'm inside. Anyway, I went inside, turned on my WIFI, and it connected just fine. And now, it's been stuck in "Offline Mode" for the rest of the day. I've been in EVDO range since then, plus connected to my own home WIFI network (which both are working just fine) but still getting relegated to Offline Mode when I start up Evernote.

Kinda stinks that I ended up losing some of my notes from this mornings message. Oh well, I remembered most of it anyway.

I am getting this now too. I keep finding myself going places and trying to pull up grocery lists or addresses of place or other things I need to check and just have to sit there with the spinning "loading" symbol until it finally times out and gives up and tells me I am in offline mode and that no notes met my search criteria or that I have no notes.

This sort of behavior makes it extremely difficult to use this program for what I understood that it was intended for and these kinds of problems happen far too often for me to be able to trust Evernote so I end up emailing things to myself so I can check my email on my Pre for information I might need. I sincerely hope these issues get sorted out, whether they are with Evernote or with the way that the Pre syncs (also extremely possibly) because Evernote does seem like a very nice program that would be great if it was reliable.

Archived