WTH is going on with Sync?

WTH is going on with Evernote?  i have been unable to sync for several days due to an "unexpected server side error".

My account is in good standing and my passwords are correct. I can log into the web and make updates but sync fails across ALL my devices - tablet, windows, phone, etc.

WORST OF ALL, I AM LOSING DATA.

Every time it attempts to sync it wipes out any updates i've made to existing notes.

I have seen this problem posted in various forums, threads, etc.

EVERNOTE - What is going on?!  This is unacceptable - this is the core of your business model, and as a paying customer, i expect to NEVER lose data.  I am extremely unhappy and upset with losing data due to your service.

post-96575-0-05242800-1389552017_thumb.p

• Level 5*

You should open a support case - I think if this were a large scale problem than there'd be a lot more traffic here than there is, so it may be something related to your account. Support are the best placed to help you.

And obviously, don't make further changes to your notes on your client until it is resolved.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I had read about this before - fortunately I've only lost a few pictures and some notes - but this is very worrying and definitely a wakeup call to both of us (EN and me).  I shall now investigate how to backup my data and keep an eye on EN alternatives.

• Level 5*

I wish I had read about this before - fortunately I've only lost a few pictures and some notes - but this is very worrying and definitely a wakeup call to both of us (EN and me).  I shall now investigate how to backup my data and keep an eye on EN alternatives.

Hi. It's difficult to draw conclusions from a single anecdote, especially when everyone else is doing fine. Perhaps, based on my experience with the app and software in general, the best approach to take is a cautious one. I think Evernote works great, but like all things, I figure we should hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I have some suggestions here to make sure you don't lose data.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=962

Thanks for the link (in fact when searching about backups I came across several of your posts - thanks for sharing).

I agree about single anecdotes - however when I looked (and ended up here) - the internet does seem to have lots of references to people reporting problems (and yes - people do only tend to report negative feedback - so you take it with a pinch of salt. But there isn't smoke without some form of fire).

I do get the feeling there is a bit of "taking the eye of the ball" going on at Evernote (which is a shame) - and in my case when I look at the log file for Evernote, I can clearly see an entry where it deletes an image in a note, and I didn't delete - just rotated - and then later I noticed a blank square with a ? and the log reporting "image hash not found"). So I think there is a nasty bug there.

This combined with, on the weekend the iPad version started crashing when viewing some notes with images (of course - the recipe I wanted to read) - and I had to use my iPhone instead (rather annoying).

All this combines to give me some cause for alarm - and definitely a wakeup call to backup my data. 

At the moment - they do still appear to be ahead of the competition, but I wonder how long that will last?

• Level 5*

Thanks for the link (in fact when searching about backups I came across several of your posts - thanks for sharing).

I agree about single anecdotes - however when I looked (and ended up here) - the internet does seem to have lots of references to people reporting problems (and yes - people do only tend to report negative feedback - so you take it with a pinch of salt. But there isn't smoke without some form of fire).

I do get the feeling there is a bit of "taking the eye of the ball" going on at Evernote (which is a shame) - and in my case when I look at the log file for Evernote, I can clearly see an entry where it deletes an image in a note, and I didn't delete - just rotated - and then later I noticed a blank square with a ? and the log reporting "image hash not found"). So I think there is a nasty bug there.

This combined with, on the weekend the iPad version started crashing when viewing some notes with images (of course - the recipe I wanted to read) - and I had to use my iPhone instead (rather annoying).

All this combines to give me some cause for alarm - and definitely a wakeup call to backup my data. 

At the moment - they do still appear to be ahead of the competition, but I wonder how long that will last?

Glad I could help.

I agree that there is work to be done on the service, and I'm glad to see the CEO has made a public, renewed dedication to making sure the various apps perform better this year. There are several great note-taking apps out there, but I don't know of anyone as ambitious or widely-accessible as Evernote.

Whatever happens with the app (or any app you use) I definitely recommend regular backups. It's better safe than sorry. This advice won't do you a whole lot of good on mobile, though, I am afraid. Fortunately, images are still in the camera roll and iCloud (paired with Time Machine on a desktop, if possible) ought to keep your stuff safe.

Just as a follow up - Evernote support did investigate my problem and examined my logs, unfortunately they didn't reveal how I lost data (shame).

On the plus side - I didn't realise I had a premium account (must have been some referrals), and so I was able to restore an older version of the note that had been corrupted and re-retrieve the image that had been deleted. Apparently - even without premium, support can usually help recover lost data if its due to a bug. Hopefully they can track down what causes this. And I guess its worth saying that support is working... (credit where due)

Tim

Archived