Feature request: +1 if u agree: add pen styles to fight blandness

rbondi

Idea

Compared with Noteshelf, Notability, Bamboo, and even Moleskine, handwritten notes are sadly drab in Penultimate because of the uniform line shape and ink. Those other programs support varying the density of the ink and the width and angles of the cursive lines in response to how fast the stylus is moving, and how much of it is being pressed onto the screen. Paper from 53 does this best of all, but it is not a note taking app. It is unfortunate that it is impossible to produce beautiful penmanship in Penultimate because of its unrealistic pen.

Could you please add the following variations to the pen:

- speed and/or pressure of stylus determines:

-- thickness of line

-- density of ink (Bamboo does this well)

- choose from various nib shapes to simulate different kinds of pens, eg fountain pen

Thank you,

/rb

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi. Thanks for posting the suggestion.

I'd encourage everyone NOT to post +1 messages. They don't add anything to the conversation and are little more than spam in any forum (sorry). Instead, "like" the post made by rbondi and/or (even better) add your own thoughts on the suggestion. The developers already know that other apps have pen styles, they already know that some users want to see it, and a few +1s aren't going to change the equation.

A lot of use cases and reasons for why users want the additional functionality is probably (in my opinion) more effective at convincing them to invest their time, energy, and money into it.

Dear GrumpyMonkey. Thanks for the comments and guidelines. It makes sense indeed to add context to a wish. I'll make sure I do more of it.

I'll just add to this that the lack of visibility about futures evolutions of the products might be a reason, good or bad, for people to add up to the list of people showing interest in one given feature.

I don't have the right combination of tools on the market yet (on the App Store), and I bet on EN to produce it. It is because I really like the products and that I am very keen on using them more that I feel frustrated not having any visibility.

Knowing that major users requests / wish lists are being worked on would make me comfortable waiting for future releases.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Phil.

• Level 5*

Dear GrumpyMonkey. Thanks for the comments and guidelines. It makes sense indeed to add context to a wish. I'll make sure I do more of it.

I'll just add to this that the lack of visibility about futures evolutions of the products might be a reason, good or bad, for people to add up to the list of people showing interest in one given feature.

I don't have the right combination of tools on the market yet (on the App Store), and I bet on EN to produce it. It is because I really like the products and that I am very keen on using them more that I feel frustrated not having any visibility.

Knowing that major users requests / wish lists are being worked on would make me comfortable waiting for future releases.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Phil.

Hi Phil. Sometimes Evernote developers let us know what is happening well before they actually appear in the app (2fa, improved encryption, reminders, etc.), but as Megsaint said, this is the exception rather than the rule.

I think it is generally a good policy not to tell people too much myself, even if I would like to know! For example, the "drift" way of writing in Penultimate is a new innovation that takes the "zoom" idea on the iPad in a totally new direction. That probably should have been kept under wraps. However, there are some things (like pens in Penultimate) that would be good to know, and I don't see any harm in telling us.

I guess it is probably a difficult decision to make for each and every case. Me? I'd like to see a bug tracker, a place for suggestions (and comments about whether they are interested in doing it), etc. Some app developers have these, and knowing that something is coming someday in the future has kept me sticking around or made me an even more supportive user of the product. It is not terribly common for developers to do this, in my experience. As far as I know, Evernote has never shown much interest in keeping public polls of user suggestions or maintaining this kind of a resource. 

I am attempting to use Penultimate with a Jot Script stylus to take notes during

scientific experiments. My motivation is to replace the "paper notebooks"

which I have been using now for 40+ years in my research lab.

To facilitate this task  requires making detailed drawings in my notebook,

these are generally located next to or surrounding handwritten text notations done on

the fly to record not only conditions, but observations, thoughts, to do tasks

etc.

The smallest pen diameter in the current version of Penultimate/Jot Script

combination that I just purchased and installed  on my iPad is  much too large 

for this process, both for entering detailed text and drawings.  

If you use the graph paper lines as a nominal measure of pen (i.e. ink line)  size

the minimum width would be at least as narrow as the lines.  I would suggest a

value of  a quarter to half  of those line widths, as a better target.  

Such a  line width  will facilitiate drawing finer details in any notations  (as I do

in my real paper notebooks)  as well as recording detailed handwritten text

data entry about conditions of an experiment.  

Importantly if I look at my paper notebooks, annotations are added continuously

and post-mortem to experiments.  This requires the ability to add details (sometimes

squeezed in-between on-the-fly notes) in  small areas.  Cutting and pasting to

move experimental notes  is not the appropriate, as you are changing the historical record

of the experimental data. Additions can be done, but data should never be changed.

Elaborate styles of pens are nice, but a luxury for my needs. Blandness is not an issue,

rather the ability to incorporate detail at a finer level that is more important. 

A  5x smaller line width  pen, would be a very good and appreciated update.  

If I want to draw artistic sketches, with styles , I am happy to use 

an alternative drawing application. 

This would be, for me a valuable update.

Cheers,

Nestor

Archived