Business card export to contacts not mapping fields correctly

I take a picture of the card with my iPhone and edit the fields in evernote so that mobile phone, work phone, title, etc... are correctly selected/labeled. However, when Evernote saves it to my contacts the field mapping is all screwed up. Work phone is now 'home' and mobile is also 'home'. Some of the fields also don't seem to carry over like title and company. It all seems pretty random.

I was excited to see this feature come out, but if I have to go in and remap fields for every contact, it's not worth it. I've tried it with Linked both connected and disconnected with the same result. What am I missing here?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

We're trying to reproduce this problem in-house to see where the issue may lie.  One question is are you testing this with a business card that also happens to match an entry with your Contacts?  If so, do you still see this problem if you scan a business card of someone that is not in your Contacts at all?

• 3 months later...

I realize this is an old post...however, I am having the same exact problem.  The phone number fields do not seem to map properly..."work" becomes "home" when transferred to my contacts on iPhone and Outlook.  I've tested with several different cards and all seem to have the same behavior.  

• 2 weeks later...

We've reproduced this issue.  It seems to be a bug with how iOS handles the mapping between information labels when talking to sync'ed accounts like Outlook and Yahoo.  iCloud accounts do not exhibit this behavior.  We should have a fix for this soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mcheng

We've reproduced this issue.  It seems to be a bug with how iOS handles the mapping between information labels when talking to sync'ed accounts like Outlook and Yahoo.  iCloud accounts do not exhibit this behavior.  We should have a fix for this soon.

Are you saying that if I am synching the contacts from my iPhone to my Mac using iCloud account, then the reversed field issue does not happen? Please confirm.

I pick up hundreds of business cards each quarter. I'll sign up for Premium Evernote if/when this important feature gets fixed.

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks for working on this, Evernote.  It is a bug, but a small price to pay for such incredible functionality.  Even allowing for manually editing the fields on my iPhone, I am still streets ahead. The world isn't perfect - and I admire people and companies who continually try to improve whatever it is that they are doing.  Thanks Evernote!

• 1 month later...

Also having the issue mentioned here....when scanning a business card will take a clear business addresses and map it as a 'home' address in outlook....any idea of when a fix will come? Thanks, Brad

Hi this fix has been out for a while in version 7.4.1.  7.4.2 is the version we just released this morning.  

If you are still seeing this mapping issue with Outlook this may be a quirk with the combo of Exchange and iOS.  

Exchange does not support “phone”, “main” or “other” labels that are used with iOS contacts. When saving data with these labels into a Contacts account sync’ed with Exchange, these labels we will map these to “work” or “work phone”, etc.  All other labels are supported.  

In addition the Exchange service only supports a maximum of one data labeled with “mobile”, two data labeled with “work” or “home” for each contact created via iOS (The desktop client may behave differently). When labeling data beyond these limits, the Exchange API in iOS will assign a random label.   This can be seen via the following steps:

1. Set up a Contact account sync’ed with Exchange on an iOS device

2. Manually create a Contact record via the iOS address book with the following info:

• home - (650) 650-6501

• home - (650) 650-6502

• home - (650) 650-6503

3. After saving this contact you should see

• home - (650) 650-6501

• home - (650) 650-6502

• work - (650) 650-6503

​If what you are seeing isn't explained by this and you are running the most recent version of Evernote iOS, please submit a support ticket via the links below with the following information:

- A picture of the business card if possible.  - On desktop or Web, just right click and save the image

- The label mapping on the review screen (black screen after scanning business cards)

- The label mapping from the contact note

- The final mapping in Outlook

We will need this information to track this down further.  Thanks.

• Level 5*

Exchange does not support “phone”, “main” or “other” labels that are used with iOS contacts. When saving data with these labels into a Contacts account sync’ed with Exchange, these labels we will map these to “work” or “work phone”, etc.  All other labels are supported.  

. . .

mcheng, this is very helpful information.  You might consider adding it as an article to the Evernote KB.

Mcheng, thank you for help -  I created the contact as suggested, and the behavior is exactly as you describe.

So, this is an Exchange problem after all. I guess I will have to live with it, as I don't see MS making any updates. I used to think that the address was not getting picked up, however, now I know that it is being labeled as 'home' in my Outlook contact. So the workaround is to go in to my newly scanned contact, copy/cut the home address and paste it into the business label. A hassle, but at least I know what is happening.

Thanks so much for your help!

Brad

• 7 months later...

Hi team, I have just started using the FABULOUS business card scan tool but have a couple of issues I am hoping you can assist with.  1) Address field seems to always map to "Home", is it possible to have this map to "Business" as more oft than not it is a business address on a business card.  2) Phone fields as below are not always mapping correctly but they ARE already showing correct allocation in Evernote prior to sync into Outlook, any ideas here?  3)  Display name defaults to e-mail address, is it possible to have this show as name only?  4) File as seems to default to Last name, First name - have double checked my Outlook settings which are to default to First Name, Last name so presume this is in the transfer to Outlook contacts?  5) Is it possible to add a Connect on LinkedIn option in the more area (as you have with Save to Contacts) in case I have forgotten to connect on LinkedIn prior to saving the contact?  BTW think both the import to Contacts and LinkedIn functions are AMAZING, if you can just tweak these small items that would be fantastic.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi roseygirl13,

We try to detect labels on phone numbers with our OCR and use whatever is detected.  Short of that I believe we just default to "phone".  Based on your statement: 

2) Phone fields as below are not always mapping correctly but they ARE already showing correct allocation in Evernote prior to sync into Outlook, any ideas here?

It sounds like we are recognizing the info correctly and saving it correctly to your iOS contacts which is our primary interface to Contacts.  iOS handles the translation and sync to Exchange and the problems with the display name and other labels are out of out of our control.  

5) Is it possible to add a Connect on LinkedIn option in the more area (as you have with Save to Contacts) in case I have forgotten to connect on LinkedIn prior to saving the contact

On iOS we expose a "Connect on LinkedIn" button directly in the note interface when viewing the note if we found a match on LinkedIN and you aren't already a connection.  If you're not seeing this then the issue is that we can't find this person on LinkedIN via their email address.

Hope this helps

• 2 years later...

Greetings. Business cards scan works well; LinkedIn seems to link. But Address field always maps to "Home." This is odd for a BUSINESS card, yes? I recognize this has been an Exchange challenge since 2013 (yikes!). Hopefully Evernote has arranged for users to choose their default map to "Business?" How might I do this?

Archived