(Archived) Evernote deleted my tags... again!

Bill H.

Let me start off by saying that I love this product and I am a Premium user. However, this is the second time that Evernote has deleted a large amount of my stacked tags.

The last time that this happened was on Wednesday following the Windows 5 (and potentially a Web Clipper update). I am not sure what happened? All I know is that I had to manually go through all 900 plus of my notes and re-tag them. I am afraid to fully commit to this product until I know that this won't happen again.

Has Evernote addressed this problem? Is there a way to rollback an accidental delete? Is there any type of version control for tags? There has got to be a better way than backing up my database every 4 hours (the maximum amount of work that I am willing to lose).

If not, please add this functionality. I really want to trust this tool to store my work product. As a software consultant, being able to quickly retrieve a troubleshooting document is my bread and butter.

Thanks,

Bill 

I did not file a support ticket. I searched your website and Google for a solution.

The first incident was due to using the delete key instead of a right mouse click to remove a tag. Unfortunately my cursor was resting on the stack tag instead of the one that I wanted to delete. I never was prompted to confirm my delete before it was gone. I was not too worried because I thought I could recover the tag from the trash. Unfortunately that was not the case.  

The second time, I don't know what happened? My stack vanished. I was trying to clip a webpage and the Web Clipper program crashed. The next time I launched the Web Clipper it had updated the program and my stack was gone. 

The bottom line is I would like to know how to avoid this in the future. Please respond to these questions:

1. Is there a way to undo or rollback a tag delete action?

2. Is there a way to be prompted with a pop up dialog box confirming your action prior to the delete? 

Thanks,

Bill

I did not file a support ticket. I searched your website and Google for a solution.

The first incident was due to using the delete key instead of a right mouse click to remove a tag. Unfortunately my cursor was resting on the stack tag instead of the one that I wanted to delete. I never was prompted to confirm my delete before it was gone. I was not too worried because I thought I could recover the tag from the trash. Unfortunately that was not the case.  

The second time, I don't know what happened? My stack vanished. I was trying to clip a webpage and the Web Clipper program crashed. The next time I launched the Web Clipper it had updated the program and my stack was gone. 

The bottom line is I would like to know how to avoid this in the future. Please respond to these questions:

1. Is there a way to undo or rollback a tag delete action?

2. Is there a way to be prompted with a pop up dialog box confirming your action prior to the delete? 

Thanks,

Bill

First, IDK about V5, but in V4 there is a dialog box confirming you want to delete the stack. If you tick the box "do not show this message again, always delete", then you will no longer receive the dialog box.  Although it's kind of a PITA, I leave these boxes unticked b/c I figure the somewhat "bothersome" action of having to confirm each stack/notebook deletion outweighs accidentally deleting something.

Second, if you had a recent backup, you could restore your tagged notes.

BurgersNFries - thanks for the feedback.

I am currently using V5, although my first problem occurred with V4.

The only posting that I had uncovered concerning the dialog pop ups was referenced by a user suggesting to make a manual adjustment to the registry. http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/31943-cant-enable-warning-when-deleting-tags/ Like this user, I do not ever remember making a intentional change to disable the warnings.

My issue regarding the backups, I backup once a week. I now switched that to occur daily. 

I am still wondering why my two questions have gone unanswered by Evernote support???

All I want to know is how to prevent this from happening in the future. Do I need to manually tweak my registry on my own to enable this safeguard? If so, please tell me what entries to make. I do not want to make matters worse by going under the covers to modify the application on my own.

Again, I love this product. I just want to have more confidence that my data will be there when I need it. 

BurgersNFries - thanks for the feedback.

I am currently using V5, although my first problem occurred with V4.

The only posting that I had uncovered concerning the dialog pop ups was referenced by a user suggesting to make a manual adjustment to the registry. http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/31943-cant-enable-warning-when-deleting-tags/ Like this user, I do not ever remember making a intentional change to disable the warnings.

My issue regarding the backups, I backup once a week. I now switched that to occur daily.

I am still wondering why my two questions have gone unanswered by Evernote support???

All I want to know is how to prevent this from happening in the future. Do I need to manually tweak my registry on my own to enable this safeguard? If so, please tell me what entries to make. I do not want to make matters worse by going under the covers to modify the application on my own.

Again, I love this product. I just want to have more confidence that my data will be there when I need it.

This is not an official support board. It is a user's board & EN staff post only occasionally as time permits. If you want to dialog directly with EN you should submit a support ticket as dlu suggested above.

I have not upgraded to V5 so cannot comment on that version. But as I said above, V4 does have a dialog/warning but it can be turned off. Of course if you turn it off, you will no longer get the warning.

• Level 5*

The "ConfirmDeleteTag" string value in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote\AutoResponse" appears to be consulted in V5. If it's not present, then you should be prompted. If it's present and equals "DeleteTag", then the tag will be deleted without prompting. Other values appear to just cancel the operation altogether: there's no prompting, and nothing happens.

I didn't test the setting for multiple tag deletion ("ConfirmDeleteTags"), but that shouldn't be too hard to test & verify.

Archived