(Archived) Security issue of a note link

I have some questions about the security issue of a note link.

Note link is often used to make an 'Index'.

but if I use a note link, one URL is generated and anyone who knows the URL can access the link.

1) if the contents of the note is a confidential one, I think it is dangerous to use this note link.

even though only the one who know the URL can access the link, I think the note is already open.

What do you think of this issue?

2) Can this note with a note link be googled? I think this is the worst case.

At the moment, I don't use note link for the confidential contents.

• Level 5*

I have some questions about the security issue of a note link.

Note link is often used to make an 'Index'.

but if I use a note link, one URL is generated and anyone who knows the URL can access the link.

1) if the contents of the note is a confidential one, I think it is dangerous to use this note link.

even though only the one who know the URL can access the link, I think the note is already open.

What do you think of this issue?

2) Can this note with a note link be googled? I think this is the worst case.

At the moment, I don't use note link for the confidential contents.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

(1) If you "Copy Share URL to Clipboard," then (as the name suggests) you are making your notes public, and although the content is not indexed by Google (I have tested this often on my shared notes, because I would like it to be indexed by Google, but I have not found a case yet when it is), it is still [EDIT:] potentially discoverable, though it might take someone many years to come up with the proper combination of the approximately 64 random digits needed to locate the note. And, you could always encrypt the text, or upload an encrypted PDF if you are concerned about super-motivated hackers taking interest in you.

(2) If you "Copy Note Link" this creates a link for use within your account, and neither the note content nor the link is accessible by other people. This is the kind of note link you use to make an "index" note (see http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-organization.html). 

• 7 months later...

Hi All,

Sorry to resurect an old thread, but it's something that's been on my mind is the security of note links.  Grumpy Monkey sums it up nicely.  

I didn't realize the difference of a note link and a note url.  I just assumed everything suddenly became potentially public when you asked for a link. Now I'll use note links for actual linking and Note Sharing for actual sharing!

Just hunted around the forums a bit.  Now I know how to have is a list of all my notes that are shared. and also how to unshare individual notes.  (because I have a bunch of shared stuff that shouldn't be!)

Is there any way to unshare multiple notes?

Time to get busy!

Phil

Is there any way to unshare multiple notes?

AFAIK, no. But if you batch move them all to a local notebook, sync, then move them back to a sync'd notebook, new GUIDs are generated & the notes are no longer shared & the old urls will generate the "oops, we've encountered an error" page.  However, when moving them back from a local notebook to a sync'd notebook, this will go against your monthly upload quota.

Archived