Backups - and local files

asiajason

Idea

Where are the local files for the v5 client for mac? They used to be in ~/Library/App Support/Evernote... but I don't see them anymore. Did they move?

Also, I want to be able to search and backup those files. If I lost my web account, and had to open a new one, how can I restore those locally backed up files?

I'm verifying my disaster recovery plans. Thanks

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

If you downloaded directly it's in user/library/application support/evernote

If you downloaded from the app store it's here ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote

You can also export your notes as HTML or in Evernote's proprietary format - lots of information on here if you do a search.

• Level 5*

If you downloaded directly it's in user/library/application support/evernote

If you downloaded from the app store it's here ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote

You can also export your notes as HTML or in Evernote's proprietary format - lots of information on here if you do a search.

And, if you have an iMac with a fusion drive, it might be here

/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/account/<your username>/

I searched and searched, and lots of the info either doesn't apply, or is out of date, and I could not find anything that described my scenario:

"

If I loose my account completely, and need to reopen a new one under a different name, how can I restore my data.

"

That is my disaster recovery requirement.

so If I have my data backed up using time machine, and the account is compromised or otherwise lost, can I fetch my evernote data directory from TM and use it?

Would it be something like this:

assuming I have the backup files offline, and ready:

1) open new account on evernote

2) open evernote client on mac, to setup new empty data directory.

3) quit evernote.

4) copy my backup data over the default blank data.

5) open evernote, and let it sync.

would this work?

• Level 5*

I searched and searched, and lots of the info either doesn't apply, or is out of date, and I could not find anything that described my scenario:

"

If I loose my account completely, and need to reopen a new one under a different name, how can I restore my data.

"

so If I have my data backed up using time machine, and the account is compromised or otherwise lost, can I fetch my evernote data directory from TM and use it?

3) quit evernote.

would this work?

Apparently, it would work fine. Other users have done it many times. I have not, though, so I cannot say exactly how this would be done.

• Level 5*

"

"

3) quit evernote.

would this work?

Apparently, it would work fine. Other users have done it many times. I have not, though, so I cannot say exactly how this would be done.

I'm not sure Asiajason's procedure would work, since the EN Account name has changed.

Asiajason, did you ever complete your restore?  Did it work, or did you need adjustments?

GM, you state that "Other users have done it many times."  If you are talking about a full restore from Time Machine, I have never seen anyone who said they had successfully done this.  There are many discussions about BACKUP on these forums, but little about actual RESTORE.

When you do a clean install of Evernote Mac with a NEW account name, EN will setup an empty account, with a true database on the Mac that has pointers to the actual content files.  Even if you restore the content files, the database won't see them, so it would appear that you have no Notes in your account.  The Note header info an pointers are stored in the "Evernote.sql" database.

You can see the "content" folders and the "Evernote.sql" database in the screen shot below.

I would really like to see a detailed KB Article from EN on RESTORING your EN Mac account from Time Machine that addresses these Use Cases:

1. A normal full restore -- like you might do when moving a large account to another Mac, or where the EN Cloud Notes have become corrupt or changed in error.
  2. A Local Notebooks restore that is added to an existing Sync'd NB database
  3. Move Account Restore -- like what the OP (Asiajason) is asking for.  A FULL Restore, but to a different account.

EN-Mac-Folders-Direct-DL.gif

• Level 5*

After years of storing photos on disks, I've started looking into subscribing to a cloud storage service to back up my photos. However, I recently saw a service called CloudBacko (http://free.cloudbacko.com/?r=1d) that offers huge amounts of cloud storage.

As always, I would recommend against relying exclusively on a cloud service for your files. I'm an amateur, though. I'd listen to what the pros have to say.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/feb/13/what-is-bit-rot-and-is-vint-cerf-right-to-be-worried

I'm not terribly keen on printing out photos. But, I am keen on having multiple copies.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=962

Evernote can be part of the solution, but I'd say you still need backups, no matter what you do. 

• Level 5*

After years of storing photos on disks, I've started looking into subscribing to a cloud storage service to back up my photos. However, I recently saw a service called CloudBacko (http://free.cloudbacko.com/?r=1d) that offers huge amounts of cloud storage.

As always, I would recommend against relying exclusively on a cloud service for your files. 

Since @robert_789 suggested using CloudBacko as a BACKUP, it would seem that he keeps the originals on disk.

I haven't used CloudBacko, but it looks promising, since:

1. They claim to provide unlimited amount of storage
  2. Both file name and contents are highly encrypted

My concerns with CloudBacko are:

1. How do you keep your local storage in sync with CB?
  2. What is the stability and reliability of the company.  
  3. How can they offer unlimited storage for free?

Would like to hear from anyone who has been using CloudBacko for a while.

Archived