(Archived) Viewing by Title: What's up with limited numbering!? + Word Count and Highlighting please

OK. Three Issues I'm having, despite general love of EN.

First:

So I've got a notebook with maybe 20 notes in it. It's for a big trip with many legs, hotel stays, tickets, etc. Listing my notes by title, date, or alphabetically means the stuff gets out of order chronologically. i.e. the "Angola Flight info" note falls before the "Zanzibar flight info" notebook, when in fact Angola is the last part of the trip and Zanzibar the first. Being an org freak, I decided to number my notebooks chronologically. i.e.

1. Zanzibar flight

2. Zanzibar hotel

3. Dinner with friend downtown

and so on...

Simple, right?

NO!

Evernote only lists the numbers 1 - 9. When you type in "10" it reads it like it's reading the alphabet and sticks it after the number "1". Meaning to go past "9" you have to use a format such as 9a, 9b etc.

Evernote chat support told me this is just how it is. Seriously!?

Second:

On the desktop app, you can bold, ital, underline, add links, etc: Why no highlighting? Esp when you can do it on the web site, like this?

Third:

Ditto word count or for that matter adding comments or viewing corrections. If Evernote added this stuff they could put MS Word out of biz. I'd literally use it for everything. Seems like an easy feature to add, given the other much greater and more high-caliber features, no?

• Level 5*

OK. Three Issues I'm having, despite general love of EN.

First:

So I've got a notebook with maybe 20 notes in it. It's for a big trip with many legs, hotel stays, tickets, etc. Listing my notes by title, date, or alphabetically means the stuff gets out of order chronologically. i.e. the "Angola Flight info" note falls before the "Zanzibar flight info" notebook, when in fact Angola is the last part of the trip and Zanzibar the first. Being an org freak, I decided to number my notebooks chronologically. i.e.

1. Zanzibar flight

2. Zanzibar hotel

3. Dinner with friend downtown

and so on...

Simple, right?

NO!

Evernote only lists the numbers 1 - 9. When you type in "10" it reads it like it's reading the alphabet and sticks it after the number "1". Meaning to go past "9" you have to use a format such as 9a, 9b etc.

Evernote chat support told me this is just how it is. Seriously!?

Second:

On the desktop app, you can bold, ital, underline, add links, etc: Why no highlighting? Esp when you can do it on the web site, like this?

Third:

Ditto word count or for that matter adding comments or viewing corrections. If Evernote added this stuff they could put MS Word out of biz. I'd literally use it for everything. Seems like an easy feature to add, given the other much greater and more high-caliber features, no?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

(1) I think customer support is correct in saying this is just how computers work. Regarding numbers from 1 to 9, all of the computer systems I have ever operated (files in Windows folders, Mac folders, etc.) count from the beginning, so they see a 1 and start alphabetizing from there, just as they would put Matrix before The Matrix. The easy answer is to number 01 to 09. This will show things in the proper order. You can also reverse the order on some clients by changing the sort settings.

(2) The desktop clients do not yet have highlighting. I think you will find many features that are available on some clients and not on others. It is a situation we hope will be improved in future updates as the clients gain more and more parity with one another.

(3) I don't think Evernote is aiming to compete with word processing programs, and I do not think it is likely we will be able to track changes or make comments anytime soon. Given that Evernote is built on XHTML, I don't think it will ever be likely to compete well in this regard. It has many strengths, but precise formatting will probably not ever be one of them. For these more advanced features, I recommend using more specialized word processing programs.

• Level 5*

Thanks so much. Definitely can live with w/o deeper wp features. Highlighting, though, would be great! Hope to see it. And yeah, DUH! 001, 002, 003. It's no wonder I was an English major and not a math guy. You rock!

Glad I could help.

I think we've got to get highlighting someday soon on the desktop versions, because we already have it in iOS on the iPad/iPhone. Cross your fingers :)

• Level 5*

Actually, Windows will display files numbered 1-<whatever> correctly; that is, if you have filenames "File1.txt", "File2.txt" ... "File10.txt", they'll display in the order requested by the original poster. The Windows API string comparison functionhas a sorting flag for this doing string comparisons this way, it's called "SORT_DIGITSASNUMBERS".

Archived