(Archived) Feature Request: Menu Bar Quick Note Entry

jeromecarney

Idea

I would love to be able to make a quick note entry by clicking the Evernote Helper elephant icon in the Mac menu bar. Day One has long offered this feature, and it's killer.

The only option I know of otherwise is to click "New Note" in Evernote Helper, or press the corresponding shortcut. Unfortunately, if Evernote isn't already loaded, I have to wait 9 seconds for the new note to open — despite owning a pretty snappy MacBook Air — before I can begin to type. And do you know how many trains of thought can derail, how many phone calls can interrupt, how many snappy MacBook Airs can crash in the space of 9 seconds? I swear, I've lost at least a dozen staggering works of heartbreaking genius waiting for new Evernote notes to open.

I figured there would be a 3rd party solution available — but so far all my poking around both Trunk and Mac App Store have been to no avail. Is there anything I'm missing?

6 replies to this idea

I too would love to see this feature - In fact I stayed loyal to the application Shovebox for their Quick Entry window.

I would hit F5 and a floating window would appear in the centre of the screen, enter text, hit return and its gone & saved.

At the end of every week I would begin the awkward process of exporting said notes to Evernote.

Shovebox appears to be deadware - It hasn't been updated in years. Perhaps Evernote could buy out this function off them.

Its the best part about their software and the only reason I continue to use it. Having this as part of Evernote would be amazing.

I use Day One also, but I think the QuickNote window in Shovebox to be more elegant and faster.

Would love to see it incorporated into Evernote.

Agreed. This is the biggest hole I see within EN's robust feature set. This is also the reason I use the FastEver app on my iPhone and iPad, but I don't see why it's not native to Evernote's functionality and plus I can't use those apps when I'm working from EN from my Mac or Windows desktops. Any idea when this might be scheduled for development? Thank you!

Let me echo the sentiment here. I'll even spec it a little...

Menu bar app. Title should be automatic, and should be the first line or 100 char, though delete back to the first space. The title will self populate above main entry, and can be clicked on and changed optionally.

One keyboard combo pops this window in the middle of the screen. I'll recommend option \ for this. Then, you type in a textbox that is modal and in the center of the screen. Pressing Return is a new line only, but by option can be made as a save. The save should be by default Command S as well as Option \, and Return could be a third. By default it enters the text in your Inbox. At the bottom of the modal box should be tags. Anything in the textbox preceded by # should be moved to the tag area. So if you're typing in a #tag the word gets dropped into the tag bar below, and removed from the note text.

A user could complete a note at any point by doing the following:

opt\

I'm typing a note

This is really fast and cool #groovy

opt\

The result of this is:

A note titled "I'm typing a note"

A note bodied "I'm typing a note" /n "This is really fast and cool"

A note tagged [Groovy]

Build this, and you will get my eternal usage and probably a big uptick in users, IMO. :)

I would love the Evernote Helper for Mac to add the following features.

- Option to enter a title for a note.

- Option to file a note directly into the right notebook, a dropdown or auto-complete selector would do fine. If not file to inbox

- Ability to add tags. The suggestion #tag from the previous post sounds nice. Auto-complete would make it even better.

- Maybe implement Textile formatting for easy formatting.

Thanks, Jan

Archived