(Archived) incomplete sync

trenga

I am just starting out with this software. Purchased the Premium which gives me 1GB per month. I wanted to start out with a simple task of putting my recipes on Evernote. I made a folder in Evernote called Recipes. I made a new recipe folder in Windows Explorer (Win 7). I used import folder in Evernote tools to sync this folder. I moved all of my recipes from one folder in Windows to the new folder in Windows I created. I then did a sync. 135 files were synced. According to Explorer, there are 1200 files for a total of 800mb in that folder so I am only getting about 10% of the files to sync in that folder. I rechecked periodically to see if more have been synced, and there are no new files being synced.

I used chat today for help and the CSR helping me started a ticket. Has anybody else had similar problems?

I had set up an import folder months ago, and use it even with a scanner. The items are imported automatically as they are put into the folder. I have never had to sync until after they are all imported, and show up in my evernote for windows. I am wondering if your sync caused the import to stop.

i am also wondering if you put so much into the folder at one time, the import stopped, also.

It sounds like you should be reporting an auto import folder problem, and not a sync problem? Sync is what evernote windows does to sync with the cloud server and mirror your stuff that is already in your evernote windows on your pc, if I am not mistaken.

So, I don't think sync has to do with import, and might even mess it up. Anybody chime in if I'm wrong.

By the way, as far as I knoiw, evernote does not sync to any folder on your pc, but it does import a file in automatically if you put a file in the import folder that is listed as an import folder.

• Level 5*

How big are your recipe files? There's a 50MB limit on Premium notes, so any file close to that size is not going to upload. I've never tried importing files in quite that number before, but Evernote doesn't seem to have a problem with 30-40 files at a time, which is my normal transfer rate.

There's also some limitations on filenames - check your file names don't contain anything other than letters, underscores, numbers and fullstops.

If you're importing on your desktop machine, the files should be added to your local database first, then synced to the Evernote servers. Unless you have contrary advice from Support I'd suggest the following.

• set up a new folder, and change the import link to that folder
  • copy all the files in your recipe folder into a zip file as a backup, just in case
  • then move files from your recipes folder to the new one in small groups of 10 or so and check that they appear in your notebook - that should be in seconds or minutes, depending on the size of your file.
  • if any fail to move, check for size and illegal file names; if that isn't the cause of your problem, let us know the size and what sort of files they are.
  • list the notes by name or creation date in Evernote to find and eliminate duplicates
  • start a manual sync - NB this will take time - you're uploading the contents of 1200 files...

Let us know how you get on...

• Level 5*

Check Tools / Account Info. That should tell you how much of your monthly upload allowance you've used up (which I suspect may be the cause of your problem). Depending on what type of files you are importing, Evernote's inport process may also cause them to be larger in size than they are on disk, as they are converted to their ENML format, which is text-based.

I am just starting out with this software. Purchased the Premium which gives me 1GB per month. I wanted to start out with a simple task of putting my recipes on Evernote. I made a folder in Evernote called Recipes. I made a new recipe folder in Windows Explorer (Win 7). I used import folder in Evernote tools to sync this folder.

To clarify, Evernote does not *sync* files in your import folder. It only *imports* the files. So if your import folders are set up to not delete the source files after importing & you change that file on your hard drive, a new note will be created rather than the first note changed.

I am just starting out with this software. Purchased the Premium which gives me 1GB per month. I wanted to start out with a simple task of putting my recipes on Evernote. I made a folder in Evernote called Recipes. I made a new recipe folder in Windows Explorer (Win 7). I used import folder in Evernote tools to sync this folder. I moved all of my recipes from one folder in Windows to the new folder in Windows I created. I then did a sync. 135 files were synced. According to Explorer, there are 1200 files for a total of 800mb in that folder so I am only getting about 10% of the files to sync in that folder. I rechecked periodically to see if more have been synced, and there are no new files being synced.

I used chat today for help and the CSR helping me started a ticket. Has anybody else had similar problems?

More terminology clarification. In Evernote-land, 'sync' means communication between the Evernote servers (aka 'cloud') and a computer/device to sync notes between the cloud & the computer/device. SO...are you saying all 1200 files were imported into your Windows desktop but only 135 were sync'd up to the EN servers? Or are you saying only 135 files were imported into your Windows desktop? I'm guessing you mean the latter, in which case, as mentioned above, it sounds like either the file sizes exceed the note size or your monthly upload allotment.

Hello again. thank you all for your help. I first tried gazumped recommendations and this did not work for my problem. I looked over the rest of the comments and I do think I understand the sync and import differences. I then did this for a quick workaround to get my files into Evernote. I created a new folder in Windows Explorer. I then set Evernote to import this folder with the delete the files from source option. I then searched my recipes folder for .pdf files using Windows Explorer. I selected all 750 pdf files found in this folder and copied them to the new folder with Evernote running on my desktop. Once the copy finished, Evernote recognized the new files and uploaded them in brisk fashion. They all show up in my recipe notebook that I created in Evernote. The copied files were deleted as specified. I then changed the option on this Evernote import folder to not delete the source file. From now on I will scan new recipes into Paperport into this folder with Evernote running, let the note upload to Evernote, then file the recipe into a subfolder. This should work going forward.

Thank you all for your input. In the whole, the comments made me rethink my problem and devise this solution.

trent

• 8 months later...
  • Level 5*

Thank you for this very helpful thread. Thought I knew my Evernote inside and out. Import Folders! That automates my Evernote use even more! Hooray.

Dave

Welcome to the forums - picking up new ideas (and being reminded of ones I knew about but haven't used in a while) is why I hang around here lots too.  Bear in mind though that Evernote is always evolving - the Premium note size limitation changed a little while ago to 100MB tops.  Just so you know.

Archived