(Archived) Editor Gripe

Steve T.

Idea

This is my first post, so I guess I shouldn't be negative and call it a gripe. So, how about a feature request?

Mac OSX 10.7.2, Evernote Premium 3.0.3

Disappointed in the editor. I don't expect a full blown capability like MS Word. But, I think the editor is missing some pretty basic functionality for 2011, almost 2012. A few examples: can't insert a row into the middle of the table. Can't move to beginning/end of a line/paragraph. The only formatting provided is very rudimentary. I understand the EN use case and agree with it. But formatting is often times critical.

Please make it a priority to improve the editor capabilities! Thanks!

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

i disagree because i use other dedicated software like word or excel for that kind of stuff. but, i think many people feel the same as you.

i do not want any formatting capabilities at all, but if evernote is going to turn this program into a quasi-word processor, then i at least want the option of a true simple text mode. at the moment, even my unformatted text appears to have hidden formatting. any chance we can get simple text (unformatted) by default?

Good point. Two editing modes - unformatted and "more-featured" would be great. Allow the selection to be made via a preferences option and everyone is happy.

I'm not asking for anything even remotely close to a full-featured app like Word. Just more than what EN is giving me today. In particular, I'd really like to see better capabilities to edit tables.

I also disagree. I'm sorry to see Evernote spending so much time and energy on text editing functions (across all platforms). It seems to be a drift away from what I thought their core mission was: a product where you could clip, store and easily retrieve information. Instead, there seems to be some giving into the pressure to turn it into a note taking (as opposed to note storing) program. It's a brilliant information storage program. It's a lousy dedicated word processing (outlining, task management, calendar) program.

Evernote, if you're listening, don't give into feature bloat! ;)

• Level 5*

I think offering more and better note-taking facilities is fine; yes, Evernote is great for note storage and retrieval, but she is a hungry elephant, and the more ways we can find to feed her, the better. Note creation is one of them, and offering the minimum, on all platforms, is a good thing. Of course, the question of what counts as minimum functionality is where the debate really comes in. But I seriously doubt that adding something like, say, predefined styles, would make it any harder to user (the opposite, I believe), much less add the much decried (unjustly so, I think) feature bloat.

The feature bloat comment was mostly a joke (hence the emoticon). However, given the amount of traffic on the forums that text editing issues have generated, it doesn't appear to be at all a simple thing. I'm guessing that getting it right is consuming a lot of development hours. If i were in charge of prioritizing, which, obviously, I'm not, I'd move it way down the list.

Just my opinion and, quite possibly, a minority one.

Archived