Unknown keyboard shortcut?

Hi All

For many years I've wished for a Onenote feature to appear in Evernote - the ability to just grab a line and move it up or down in a list.

Today, I just did it by accident!!

I had a list and just added some text at the beginning of one of the lines. I pressed return and the whole line moved down one line with the one that was below going above it.

I pressed Ctrl Z and Ctrl Y to make sure I wasn't seeing things then tried other key combos to try to figure out what I just did but just cannot re-create the action.

Does anyone have any idea what I may have done?

My cursor was midway along the line at the time and I'm using Windows desktop version 6.19.2.8555 if that's any help....

• Level 5*

Hi.  Just had a play,  but nothing seems to work - I either lose the trailing text completely or it moves to the next line down as you might expect. 

Was this a numbered,  bulleted or just a paragraph-style list?

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Graham Gott said:

I had a list and just added some text at the beginning of one of the lines. I pressed return and the whole line moved down one line with the one that was below going above it.

There is no secret shortcut to do this. It's an operation that makes no sense, UI-wise: break a line and put the text following the cursor above the preceding text? Nope. Instead, it sounds like a bug to me.

Moreover, it doesn't seem to be what you're wishing for anyways:

5 hours ago, Graham Gott said:

For many years I've wished for a Onenote feature to appear in Evernote - the ability to just grab a line and move it up or down in a list.

You can do this with lines in a bulleted or numbered list, in the current Windows client (which you're using). Hover over the bullet or number at the left, and you'll see the cursor turn into a hand. That means that you can drag it up and down the list, or into another list. Appears to only work with individual list items, but I haven't used this much, so there may be ways to make it work with multiple list items that I'm not aware of.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, jefito said:

There is no secret shortcut to do this. It's an operation that makes no sense, UI-wise: break a line and put the text following the cursor above the preceding text? Nope. Instead, it sounds like a bug to me.

Yeah, I think you may be right

44 minutes ago, jefito said:

You can do this with lines in a bulleted or numbered list, in the current Windows client (which you're using). Hover over the bullet or number at the left, and you'll see the cursor turn into a hand. That means that you can drag it up and down the list, or into another list. Appears to only work with individual list items, but I haven't used this much, so there may be ways to make it work with multiple list items that I'm not aware of.

I forgot about that. It's a shame it doesn't work with check boxes as well. Although it does work with bulleted check boxes. I'll have to try that...

Thanks!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Graham Gott said:

I forgot about that. It's a shame it doesn't work with check boxes as well. Although it does work with bulleted check boxes. I'll have to try that..

Right. Check boxes are different. But the "draggability" resides with the bullets/numbers in the two types of lists, I believe, so bulleted check lists should work.