Anti-aliasing is not working on external monitors

Hi, I'm using a 24" external dell monitor through a D3100 dock which are driven by a macbook pro w/ touch bar.  All my evernote text on the latest version is having anti aliasing issues and its a pain to read text on.  When I move the evernote window to the macbook's native display it looks fine, but anytime its on the external it shows as jagged text.  Evernote is the only application I'm having problems with regarding this issue

evernote_macbook_screen.png

evernote_external.png

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5

Glad you posted on this older thread.

What is new about this today, we didn’t already know about ?

P.S. Running exactly the config claimed to be defective: MacBookPro with Touch Bar and external monitor, connected through a dock. However, no issue when switching monitors. Probably I should feel good to be the lucky one.

Did anybody post this with Support, and got an answer ?

• Level 5

Just looked up the setup posted initially.

If we talk about the Dell D3100 Dock, this piece of hardware is described by Dell as being Windows-only. Technically one can put a Mac into one of the USB 3.0-ports and connect an external monitor, but it is not supported by Dell. Dell advises when you use this Dock with external monitors to install drivers to Windows to avoid display problems. These drivers are not available for any MacOS version.

Dell claims one can connect up to 3 high resolution monitors to a notebook by just one USB 3.0 connection, but I doubt that this piece of magic works seamlessly without the specific drivers.

If one has this problem, maybe try another Mac-to-monitor connector. For testing purposes some cheap USB-C dongle with HDMI one usually has in his bag for travel will probably do.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 5:35 PM, PinkElephant said:

Just looked up the setup posted initially.

If we talk about the Dell D3100 Dock, this piece of hardware is described by Dell as being Windows-only. Technically one can put a Mac into one of the USB 3.0-ports and connect an external monitor, but it is not supported by Dell. Dell advises when you use this Dock with external monitors to install drivers to Windows to avoid display problems. These drivers are not available for any MacOS version.

Dell claims one can connect up to 3 high resolution monitors to a notebook by just one USB 3.0 connection, but I doubt that this piece of magic works seamlessly without the specific drivers.

If one has this problem, maybe try another Mac-to-monitor connector. For testing purposes some cheap USB-C dongle with HDMI one usually has in his bag for travel will probably do.

This continues to happen to many people across a wide range of hardware.  Evernote has already recognized it as a bug in their code (since last November).