Unable to Access Notes in Evernote Web

lamsiu

When I login to Evernote Web, it is almost as if I am signing up for evernote for the first time. None of my notes are there and all of the new user tutorials start popping up. This was really worrying - I thought I had inadvertently reset my account and lost all my notes! However, my notes are still there if I access my account via a phone app or desktop app. 

After double checking that they are in fact the same account (same email address, password, and login history), it seems that Evernote Web and the native apps are simply operating using different databases. 

• Ex Employees

@lamsiu, it's unfortunately not uncommon for users to accidentally create new accounts. We're working on making that harder to do. Are you sure the account you log into on the web is the same one as your other clients?

The other option would be that your non-web clients aren't syncing, but I find that pretty unlikely, especially if your desktop and phone app have the same data.

If you continue to have problems, you should contact our customer support and they can help you out with determining what accounts you have registered with.

• Level 5*
On 11/14/2018 at 4:51 PM, lamsiu said:

After double checking that they are in fact the same account (same email address, password, and login history), it seems that Evernote Web and the native apps are simply operating using different databases. 

What @Scott T. said.

But yes, the desktop applications do use a local copy of your notes database, for performance purposes. The web clients do not. The mobile applications can cache note data on your device for offline use, so that's a mixed case. All applications do connect to the Evernote service, and notes should be synced from the web service to local storage before you use them, so long as you're not offline. In general, you should see the same notes etc. on the native applications that you do on the web.

On 11/16/2018 at 2:24 PM, Scott T. said:

@lamsiu, it's unfortunately not uncommon for users to accidentally create new accounts. We're working on making that harder to do. Are you sure the account you log into on the web is the same one as your other clients?

The other option would be that your non-web clients aren't syncing, but I find that pretty unlikely, especially if your desktop and phone app have the same data.

If you continue to have problems, you should contact our customer support and they can help you out with determining what accounts you have registered with.

@Scott T. It seems that there are in fact two accounts - with the same email and password login information. I was able to access my original one with my notes on Evernote web by viewing account information via a link on my windows native Evernote app. 

Do you know how it was possible for me to accidentally create a new account? It seems like the system should be set up so that each email can only be tied to one account, ie it's impossible to create a new account with an email that already has one linked to it. In any case, my experience suggests that Evernote web defaults to the newer account without my notes, and I want to be able to access my notes online without needing my desktop app (or if my current PC crashes, I have no way of accessing my original account!). Is there anyway to select which one to login to? 

It also seems like I cannot contact customer support since I only have a basic plan. Seeing as I have no need for the features of a premium account (I only have 2 devices and only use evernote for text, no images or multimedia), I don't want to pay for the features that I am not using. If I need to upgrade to recover my data I will, but I shouldn't have to pay to recover my own data.

Thank you very much for the help!

• Ex Employees

@lamsiu I sent you a private message to help you sort this out. Please note that the Evernote system has a uniqueness constraint on the login, which is required to be an email. We do not allow two accounts to have the same email address. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Scott T. said:

We do not allow two accounts to have the same email address. 

With GMail. the account EvernoteUser@gmail.com is the same as Evernote.User@gmail.com. Once upon a time, Evernote used to think that these were separate emails, so you could create separate accounts in this way. Not sure if that's the case any more. Not really saying whether it should or shouldn't do this, it's just a curious factoid.

• Ex Employees

@jefito Yeah, from Evernote's perspective, those are two different emails.

We use Gmail for our evernote.com email provider. So for internal testing, I always just add "+sometext" to my email address (before the "@" symbol) to generate a unique email address from Evernote's point of view. To Gmail, though, it's just the same email address. That way I always get all the emails to my main account, but can have unique accounts for testing purposes.

Archived