HALP: Forgot to Export Notes - How Open content.enml?

I wiped my MacBook Pro for the purpose of putting a Windows partition using Bootcamp on it. About half of my Notes are local, and I found where they were stored on my Mac. So, thinking I was doing all I needed to do, I backed up those Evernote folders (com.evernote.Evernote, etc.) to an external hard drive. My plan was then to simply move those folders to where local Evernote folders are stored on Windows. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that folders that can be opened on Windows can't necessarily be opened on Mac (even Excel folders, but that's another problem for another day). I looked up, and I was apparently supposed to export those notes ahead of time. 

I still have the folders for the local notes with them having a card.png, content.enml, quickLook.png, and snippet.txt. I can't open up the content.enml files in Evernote, but I can in TextEdit. It looks like HTML. 

My question: is there a way to modify these content.enml files so that they actually open up in Evernote? Or maybe a way to automatically modify them from enml to Word files? 

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, Protosol said:

My question: is there a way to modify these content.enml files so that they actually open up in Evernote?

As you noticed, the .enml file is an html fork.
For simple notes, you can rename the file to .html
There are some invalid tags in the content but the browsers are usually forgiving.

>>I looked up, and I was apparently supposed to export those notes ahead of time. 

Anyone using Local Notebooks should be backing up their data.
By definition, Evernote is not uploading this data to the servers and performing backups.

>>Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that folders that can be opened on Windows can't necessarily be opened on Mac 

The Evernote Windows and Mac platforms use a completely different filing system.
In Windows, all the data is consolidated into a single .exb file

22 hours ago, Protosol said:

I wiped my MacBook Pro for the purpose of putting a Windows partition using Bootcamp on it. About half of my Notes are local, and I found where they were stored on my Mac. So, thinking I was doing all I needed to do, I backed up those Evernote folders (com.evernote.Evernote, etc.) to an external hard drive. My plan was then to simply move those folders to where local Evernote folders are stored on Windows. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that folders that can be opened on Windows can't necessarily be opened on Mac (even Excel folders, but that's another problem for another day). I looked up, and I was apparently supposed to export those notes ahead of time. 

I still have the folders for the local notes with them having a card.png, content.enml, quickLook.png, and snippet.txt. I can't open up the content.enml files in Evernote, but I can in TextEdit. It looks like HTML. 

My question: is there a way to modify these content.enml files so that they actually open up in Evernote? Or maybe a way to automatically modify them from enml to Word files? 

as far as I know, no.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, Protosol said:

I backed up those Evernote folders (com.evernote.Evernote, etc.) to an external hard drive. My plan was then to simply move those folders to where local Evernote folders are stored on Windows.

As you have found, you can't simply copy the Mac Evernote folders to Windows.

But you can get your Mac Local Notebooks to EN Win using a procedure like this.

This procedure is untested, and you need to review/edit carefully before you proceed.

1. Install EN Mac
  2. Start EN Mac and let it finish setup
  3. Quit EN Mac and disconnect your Mac from the Internet
  4. Replace the com.evernote.Evernote folder with your backup
  5. Start EN Mac
  6. Export all of your Local NBs to ENEX files, one NB per file
  7. Copy these ENEX files to the Windows partition
  8. Import into EN Win
10 hours ago, DTLow said:

As you noticed, the .enml file is an html fork.
For simple notes, you can rename the file to .html
There are some invalid tags in the content but the browsers are usually forgiving.

>>I looked up, and I was apparently supposed to export those notes ahead of time. 

Anyone using Local Notebooks should be backing up their data.
By definition, Evernote is not uploading this data to the servers and performing backups.

>>Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that folders that can be opened on Windows can't necessarily be opened on Mac 

The Evernote Windows and Mac platforms use a completely different filing system.
In Windows, all the data is consolidated into a single .exb file

Changing the extension to html and then opening in a browser works! This allows me to copy what's in the browser into a new note... but I wonder...

Is there a way to tell Evernote to just open up these html notes in the program itself, in Mac OS? I could just do what's above and copy and paste them, but I have something like 200 local notes. 

Why can't Evernote just open up the enml files in Evernote if it's in Mac OS as well? 

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, Protosol said:

Is there a way to tell Evernote to just open up these html notes in the program itself, in Mac OS?

Yes, html files can be imported into Evernote.  I use an import folder, or drag the files to the Evernote icon.

22 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Yes, html files can be imported into Evernote.  I use an import folder, or drag the file to the Evernote icon.

I've tried both and they don't work. The files are greyed out. Do you know what that could mean? 

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Protosol said:

I've tried both and they don't work. The files are greyed out. Do you know what that could mean? 

Where are the files greyed out?  Can you post a screenshot.

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Where are the files greyed out?  Can you post a screenshot.

This is from the com.evernote.Evernote file I copied over my external hard drive. The location of these greyed out files (on the very right) is com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/www.evernote.com/(an 8 digit number)/content/(each note is kept in files with a bunch of letters and numbers)

When I try and import notes from the Core Data folder, I can't find it, so the com.evernote.Evernote folder I'm trying to import from is just on my desktop. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 9.18.14 PM.png

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, Protosol said:

When I try and import notes from the Core Data folder, I can't find it, so the com.evernote.Evernote folder I'm trying to import from is just on my desktop. 

Try dragging the html files to the Evernote icon.250721083_ScreenShot2018-10-25at20_50_18.png.8d4d52f67e667af1dceb4a60e3bb2cee.png

Evernote's import command only works with .enex files

16 hours ago, DTLow said:

Try dragging the html files to the Evernote icon.250721083_ScreenShot2018-10-25at20_50_18.png.8d4d52f67e667af1dceb4a60e3bb2cee.png

Evernote's import command only works with .enex files

Doing that creates a note in EN, but it doesn't translate any of the HTML into a note. It's blank. 

I tried dragging the enml files, but it did something weird like this: 

Screen_Shot_2018-10-26_at_2.27.39_PM.jpg

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Protosol said:

Doing that creates a note in EN, but it doesn't translate any of the HTML into a note. It's blank. 

I tried dragging the enml files, but it did something weird like this: 

Since you're having problems with this approach, I'm just curious if you tried the approach I suggested:

22 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

But you can get your Mac Local Notebooks to EN Win using a procedure like this.

This procedure is untested, and you need to review/edit carefully before you proceed.

1. Install EN Mac
  2. Start EN Mac and let it finish setup
  3. Quit EN Mac and disconnect your Mac from the Internet
  4. Replace the com.evernote.Evernote folder with your backup
  5. Start EN Mac
  6. Export all of your Local NBs to ENEX files, one NB per file
  7. Copy these ENEX files to the Windows partition
  8. Import into EN Win

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Protosol said:

@JMichaelTX's post seems to be a good solution, since you have your data backups and reinstalled the Mac software.

2 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Since you're having problems with this approach, I'm just curious if you tried the approach I suggested:

I'm willing to try it, but my com.evernote.Evernote folder is currently my backup, and it's on my desktop. My Library folder is greyed out, and even so I don't see the Core Data folder inside it. So I'm not sure how to replace a folder I can't access. X(

Also, for the time being, I'm just trying to open these local notes in EN Mac. I've run into too many unrelated problems with Windows that it's not my main concern at this point.  

thisone.png

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Protosol said:

but my com.evernote.Evernote folder is currently my backup, and it's on my desktop. My Library folder is greyed out, and even so I don't see the Core Data folder inside it. So I'm not sure how to replace a folder I can't access.

OK, but that does not make sense to me.  The Evernote data folder MUST be in this location (if you installed from Evernote.com.  App Store install will be different):  
~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote

It sounds like somehow your Evernote Mac installation has become corrupted.

Previously, you stated you had a backup of  com.evernote.Evernote here:

On 10/24/2018 at 5:19 PM, Protosol said:

I backed up those Evernote folders (com.evernote.Evernote, etc.) to an external hard drive.

If you still have that backup, then I would suggest that you do this:

1. Detach the external hard drive with your backup
  2. Completely remove Evernote.app, and all related files, using an app delete tool like AppDelete.
  3. Now follow my procedure from above.  Obviously you will need to attach your external drive just prior to Step 4 above.

If you do this properly, you should be able to replace the ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote  folder (and all subfolders) with your backup.  Make sure Evernote.app is NOT running when you do this.

Questions?

50 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

OK, but that does not make sense to me.  The Evernote data folder MUST be in this location (if you installed from Evernote.com.  App Store install will be different):  
~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote

It sounds like somehow your Evernote Mac installation has become corrupted.

Previously, you stated you had a backup of  com.evernote.Evernote here:

If you still have that backup, then I would suggest that you do this:

1. Detach the external hard drive with your backup
  2. Completely remove Evernote.app, and all related files, using an app delete tool like AppDelete.
  3. Now follow my procedure from above.  Obviously you will need to attach your external drive just prior to Step 4 above.

If you do this properly, you should be able to replace the ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote  folder (and all subfolders) with your backup.  Make sure Evernote.app is NOT running when you do this.

Questions?

I GOT IT. It turns out, my quest for the Core Data folder was pointless, because it actually WAS stored in Application Support. I replaced that com.evernote.Evernote folder with my backup, and everything is hunky-dory. I'd like to thank the academy you guys for all your help.

Archived