export/backup breaking the text.

Br0s

I'm testing the Evernote functions before joining completely, and one of the things I need is an offline backup for security (years ago I used software like this I lost everything when the company responsible simply closed and did not allow access to my files). So I quickly found a problem that is breaking text in txt files (replacing letters with strange symbols, removing space etc).

Is it possible to solve this problem?

Also, is Evernote really safe for who has hundreds of important files?

• Level 5*

Can you add more details and examples of the "breaking text in txt files (replacing letters with strange symbols, removing space etc)".  My experience with attached files is they're preserved.

My backups run on a Mac and include daily incremental and weekly full backups; also Mac TimeMachine.
I use the html export option.

- Notes are converted from native enml to html format.
- File attachments, including txt files are stored/exported unchanged in their native format.

imho, My data is safe in Evernote; and I have my backups.
Incidents may happen, but I think Evernote's backup procedures are more solid than the average user implements.

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you keep your own backups, then it should be completely safe from data loss.  I've been using the app for most of its life (10 years or so) and currently have nearly 44,000 notes.  I backup daily with Backupery and weekly by copying the main database file (both possible in Windows,  but not in Mac - there are other methods to apply there).

You need to be aware that all your synced notes are stored on your own device(s) and Evernote's servers (which means in Google server farms) but you can keep local notes offline if you wish.

14 hours ago, DTLow said:

Can you add more details and examples of the "breaking text in txt files (replacing letters with strange symbols, removing space etc)".  My experience with attached files is they're preserved.

My backups run on a Mac and include daily incremental and weekly full backups; also Mac TimeMachine.
I use the html export option.

- Notes are converted from native enml to html format.
- File attachments, including txt files are stored/exported unchanged in their native format.

imho, My data is safe in Evernote; and I have my backups.
Incidents may happen, but I think Evernote's backup procedures are more solid than the average user implements.

I tried to repeat the process and this time this did not occur,  I dont know why but before my text was with characters more or less like this: https://imgur.com/gcX3nnq

14 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  If you keep your own backups, then it should be completely safe from data loss.  I've been using the app for most of its life (10 years or so) and currently have nearly 44,000 notes.  I backup daily with Backupery and weekly by copying the main database file (both possible in Windows,  but not in Mac - there are other methods to apply there).

You need to be aware that all your synced notes are stored on your own device(s) and Evernote's servers (which means in Google server farms) but you can keep local notes offline if you wish.

Thanks for the tip, I'm downloading this software right now.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Br0s said:

Thanks for the tip, I'm downloading this software right now.

Quick further tips on Backupery -

• make sure you set the options for backup at a time when you won't normally be using your system - my laptop slows down a lot when it's active (although you can pause the operation if you find that's happening)
  • opt for a full backup each time - incremental backups could be a serious pain if you ever need to rebuild your database,  one restore at a time...
  • set the app to keep a small number of current backups - mine will currently keep 6 dailies and then overwrite the oldest file;  hence the weekly database copy.

All the above caveated on my having a very large database file which takes a lot of resources to handle. 

It's a pain to keep backups at all,  but it's my data... (in my Gollum voice...?)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

incremental backups could be a serious pain if you ever need to rebuild your database,  one restore at a time...

My objective with export backups is NOT for a database rebuild.

For a database rebuild, I restore from the Evernote servers.
If that's been lost, I have my Mac TimeMachine backups, a raw database backup.

Be aware that the export backups is not an exact restore process; the data is loaded as new notes.  
Also, the master version of your data is stored on the servers.  We have a copy on our devices.  
We are "rebuilding" the data copy; not the master version (Local unsync'd notebooks are a special case).

My objective with export backups is to recover specific note data I've lost somehow.
For this, I rely on my daily incremental html backups. 

I search for a note title and select the version I need.
I import the note (creates a new note) or copy/paste select data into an existing note.

Archived