Export as RTF

100WattWalrus

Idea

Having the only export option be Evernote XML (hardly counts as exporting if the only app that can read it is the one that created it) and HTML is ridiculous. What good is having a note in HTML? Why is there no Export as RTF, which could then be opened in any word processor?

Export as RTF should be a high priority.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, 100WattWalrus said:

HTML is ridiculous. What good is having a note in HTML?

Why is HTML "ridiculous"?

HTML is:

• Obviously, can be easily viewed in any web browser
  • Used by more apps than RTF
  • Easy to search and modify
  • Imports into every word processor I know of
  • Many information managers use HTML.

BTW, you don't state what OS you're using, but in the macOS, you can use AppleScript to export Notes (or parts thereof) from Evernote Mac and import into most any other app.

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, 100WattWalrus said:

What good is having a note in HTML? 

Another vote for HTML export; I also use it for my backups.
As per @JMichaelTX; viewable in any web browser, easy to search and modify

Note - the majority of my notes contain attachments: PDFs, Images, office/iwork documents ...
These files must remain in their native format during the export.

On 7/7/2018 at 11:24 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Why is HTML "ridiculous"?

HTML is:

• Obviously, can be easily viewed in any web browser
  • Used by more apps than RTF
  • Easy to search and modify
  • Imports into every word processor I know of
  • Many information managers use HTML.

BTW, you don't state what OS you're using, but in the macOS, you can use AppleScript to export Notes (or parts thereof) from Evernote Mac and import into most any other app.

I chose my words poorly out of frustration. I can understand why some people might prefer HTML. I use Evernote for only two things — a diary and one project in which I need tags. I don't like that it's not possible to have separate sets of tags for each notebook, and my tags are in the dozens now because of it, which is very confusing as none of my tags from either project have anything to do with the other project, so having only one set of tags makes for a lot of clutter. I say this as a preface to my reason for wanting RTF export...

HTML is fine, except that it's not "easy" to modify in the way RTF is easy to modify, even with WYSIWYG. I do not use Evernote for the keeping of hundreds of notes on other projects because of the tag clutter and several other limitations (including the way Evernote puts gigantic white space around tables for no reason i'm able to discern). I use RTF documents maintained in Mac's TextEdit, because I can make the pages full screen width by default, and can make them without any hard-coded indents, and because TextEdit launches a lot faster than other word processors.

My thinking is that if I ever give up on Evernote, at least one of my projects I'd probably go back to working on in TextEdit, and I'd like to be able to just export in a format that app can use without having to take any additional steps. TextEdit can read and edit HTML, but when exporting HTML from Evernote and opening it in TextEdit, all the fonts are wrong, the text doesn't wrap in the same place, etc.

I recognize I'm in the minority here, and maybe there are options I'm not considering. But in my view, the options for export in Evernote are lacking.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, 100WattWalrus said:

my tags are in the dozens now because of it, which is very confusing as none of my tags from either project have anything to do with the other project, so having only one set of tags makes for a lot of clutter.

When I have project specific tags, I prefix the tagnames.
For example: 

• Project-aaaaaaaa
  • Project-aaaaaaaa-bbbbbb
  • Project-aaaaaaaa-cccccc
  • Project-aaaaaaaa-dddddd

The downside is that tagnames get truncated in some lists.  I wouldn't use overly long names.

Archived