No Longer Able to Save New York Times Articles on My Android

A couple of days ago, I noticed on my Android phone that the "Share" icon had changed on some New York Times articles. Instead of the three dots in the corner, which led me to the usual three-pronged Share icon, there was a white, curved right arrow. When I click on it, I have the option to share the article by email, to Twitter, to Reddit, etc. (there are several choices), but the Evernote selection is gone.

Evernote Support confirmed that the feature had been changed and said that it would pass on the "request" to renew it to Evernote.

At whose request was this change made? Evernote's? The New York Times? Why on earth would anyone eliminate such a useful feature? I save a lot of NYT articles to my phone.  Once again, I'm faced with the problem of an expensive app that doesn't perform the most basic functions.

How did this happen?

[UPDATE]

Forum member jefito told me that it was possible to access the traditional Share icon by going to NYT via Chrome. (I always use the NYT app.) That's better than nothing, but I don't understand why the Share to Evernote feature is gone from the app itself. It also would have been nice for Evernote Support to have suggested this workaround when I contacted them -- all they said was that the feature was gone.

• Level 5*

If you're complaining that NYT articles can't be saved to Evernote,  I'd think the objection should be raised with NYT who charge $7.99 per month for access to their stories.  Evernote can only clip the pages to which it has access...

I have subscriptions to both. I expect to be able to use them. I've been saving NYT stories to Evernote on my mobile for years. 

I'm under the impression that Evernote made the change, because why else would EN Support offer to pass on the suggestion of renewing the feature?  I asked who was responsible but have not received a response.

As for charging, the NYT needs revenue, just like Evernote.

• Level 5*

I see the white curved arrow on the web site page itself (this is on the NYT mobile web site, viewed on my Android phone), but the three-dot menu is available in the Chrome browser, and Share... leads to the familiar Evernote clipper icon. Clipping that story succeeded. I don't know how the Share page that's led to by the white curved arrow is populated, but iI do know that I can clip web pages from the NYT...

13 minutes ago, jefito said:

I see the white curved arrow on the web site page itself (this is on the NYT mobile web site, viewed on my Android phone), but the three-dot menu is available in the Chrome browser, and Share... leads to the familiar Evernote clipper icon. Clipping that story succeeded. I don't know how the Share page that's led to by the white curved arrow is populated, but iI do know that I can clip web pages from the NYT...

Thanks for pointing that out. Normally, I use the NYT app on my phone, I don't go through Google Chrome, but I just tried it and had the option of saving the old way on every page I tried. As noted, Evernote Support confirmed that a change had been made. It would have been nice if they had suggested accessing the website through Chrome. Although it's a pain to leave the app to save something, at least it's still an option on the phone.

Archived