Fix Line Height for Superscripts and Subscripts

Glenwing

Idea

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5
56 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Anyone who has actually used superscripts or subscripts in Evernote probably knows that the line height changes when you use them.

This is somewhat annoying, and I'm guessing not that difficult for Evernote to fix.

Trying not to sound offensive, but what's the basis for guessing it's not difficult to fix? I see this in many apps (e.g., email apps), not just Evernote. I believe it may be due to the way super- and subscript are handled by HTML (which is what Evernote notes use, I think), which means that it may not even be possible to fix. Hopefully someone with better knowledge on this than mine will jump in!

9 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Trying not to sound offensive, but what's the basis for guessing it's not difficult to fix? I see this in many apps (e.g., email apps), not just Evernote. I believe it may be due to the way super- and subscript are handled by HTML (which is what Evernote notes use, I think), which means that it may not even be possible to fix. Hopefully someone with better knowledge on this than mine will jump in!

I recall getting crash messages about the Evernote HTML renderer failing, or something along those lines, so I'm likewise under the impression that Evernote uses HTML too. If so, it can be fixed with a few lines of CSS, like so:

https://jsfiddle.net/pactqbzh/21/

• Level 5
13 hours ago, Glenwing said:

I recall getting crash messages about the Evernote HTML renderer failing, or something along those lines, so I'm likewise under the impression that Evernote uses HTML too. If so, it can be fixed with a few lines of CSS, like so:

https://jsfiddle.net/pactqbzh/21/

Ah, very nice! Pardon my ignorance, please. Actually, I hope EN (a) adopts this, and (b) pays you for it. :D

• Level 5*

From the ENML doc:

Styling note content

ENML allows the use of CSS to style notes. All styles must be specified in-line using the 'style' attribute. References to external or embedded stylesheets and the use of the 'class' attribute are not allowed.

<en-note>
  <span style="font-weight:bold;color:red;">Here's some bold red text!</span>
  </en-note>
view rawexample.xml hosted with ❤ by GitHub

ENML does not define or enforce a set of supported styles. Most Evernote client applications display note content within embedded browser controls (e.g. WebView) and thus support almost all standard CSS properties. However, because notes can be viewed in both desktop and mobile apps, note authors should use caution when styling notes. Always see what your note looks like on various platforms when designing your note's content.

From a note that has first line normal, second line subscript, and third line superscript, here the markup from an exported ENML file

<en-note>
<div>Text styles</div>
<div>normal</div>
<div><sub>subscript</sub></div>
<div><sup>superscript</sup></div>
</en-note>]]>

This displays fine in Android and the web (where I added the sub/superscript), but curiously not in the Windows client. Neither the Android nor the Windows clients have controls to add sub/superscript styling.

Archived