(Archived) Google Reader to Evernote Desktop

psionmark

Idea

Hi gang,

Is it possible to create a new note from Google Reader directly to Evernote Desktop? Might seem a strange request, but I spend a lot of time away from home accessing the web using a 3G dongle, which is pretty slow and I'd like to use the Send To on Reader to send an article to the Desktop version, rather than it doing the web clip type thing, as it seems to take forever on this slow connection.

I'd really like it to go straight to the Desktop version where I can sync it later when I have a good connection.

Cheers,

Mark

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

You can use Google Reader to email operation to send the article to your EverNote email address. The desktop will pick it up from the web on your next sync.

~Jeff

A much better way to do this is to go into your Google Reader settings. Across the top row of options at the end is "Send To" there are checkboxes for some common sites but you can also create your own. Below is ascreenshot showing what needs to be filled in to make it work. After you save when you view an article in GR look along the bottom edge where the Star, Like, Share etc. buttons are on the far right is Send To click that and the Evernote button will now pop out.

20100717-j918n3cccqhh2fhnj6uba8r4dw.jpg

Hi,

Yes, that works, but I want to send it straight to the Desktop version. I have this "Send to" already set up, but when I click it, it opens a new web page for the Evernote clip, which is what I was trying to avoid due to the slow connection. It can take minutes adding it this way over 3G. It's perfectly fine over broadband, but not 3G.

Cheers,

Mark

Yeah I mainly put this here for others that come looking for Google Reader integration info. Not perfect for everyone but may help some. Seems you have a solution worked out now that fits your workflow.

A much better way to do this is to go into your Google Reader settings. Across the top row of options at the end is "Send To" there are checkboxes for some common sites but you can also create your own. Below is ascreenshot showing what needs to be filled in to make it work. After you save when you view an article in GR look along the bottom edge where the Star, Like, Share etc. buttons are on the far right is Send To click that and the Evernote button will now pop out.

20100717-j918n3cccqhh2fhnj6uba8r4dw.jpg

Curious why you feel this is a better way then simply emailing the article to your evernote address? It's just as fast (you still have to click on "send to", etc..) plus you don't have to deal with a pop-up box every time you send something to evernote...

The way you suggest, puts a pop up box up over your browser, or opens up a new window, every-time you send something to evernote...

I guess the perfect solution for me would be for Evernote to add the ability to subscribe to an RSS Feed (an oft requested feature). That way, I could just send everything I want to keep to, say, Instapaper (so it gets rid of all the ads etc) and then get Evernote to subscribe to my Unread Feed.

Yes, I know there are RSS to email solutions out there, but none seem to match my requirements.

Cheers,

Mark

Archived