Tables-Match note width

What exactly is this feature supposed to do?  I select it every time I create a new table, yet if you resize the window (or try to view on the ipad) the text in the table never fits the size of the window.  In fact, you don't even have to resize the window for it to resize itself so that text has to be scrolled to read.  All I want it a box around text to set it off from other text and for that box to be the same size as the note window. I don't understand why that is so complicated.I am using both the latest version on Windows 10 and the latest version for the ipad.  Images work perfectly, but not text typed into a table.

Also if this is in the wrong forum, just move it. I need help with the program.  Every time I try and ask a question, someone feels the need to tell me it's in the wrong forum, without ever actually taking the time to try and answer the original question.

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, Momofthrees said:

What exactly is this feature supposed to do?  I select it every time I create a new table, yet if you resize the window (or try to view on the ipad) the text in the table never fits the size of the window.  In fact, you don't even have to resize the window for it to resize itself so that text has to be scrolled to read.  All I want it a box around text to set it off from other text and for that box to be the same size as the note window. I don't understand why that is so complicated.I am using both the latest version on Windows 10 and the latest version for the ipad.  Images work perfectly, but not text typed into a table.

Apparently, this is a one-shot operation: it appears to make the table fit the whatever current note width is. The table will then be a fixed size: If you then resize the note to be wider, you'll see the margin on the right side of the table grow; if you resize the note to be narrower, they you should see a scroll bar appear underneath the table so that you can see the the part of the table that's now outside the window bounds. I confess that I've never used this before; these are just my observations on trying it out.

50 minutes ago, Momofthrees said:

Also if this is in the wrong forum, just move it. I need help with the program.  Every time I try and ask a question, someone feels the need to tell me it's in the wrong forum, without ever actually taking the time to try and answer the original question.

If I find a topic that's in the wrong forum, I just move it; I might add a comment that the topic is in the wrong forum just for the poster's information. I can't move individual posts, though: if I find a post that's a reply to someone else's original topic, and the post is in the wrong forum, I cannot move it, so I may just make the comment that the issue/question/comment doesn't apply there. In general, if I am not qualified to answer someone's question because it uses a platform that I don't use, I don't answer it. It should still be good information for people to post in the correct forum.

Thank you Jeff.  
The problem is, just closing out of EN and reopening without any window changes is enough for it to lose the setting. It's driving me bonkers, because I want the text to be all on the screen with no scrolling. Each note has two text boxes (set to width of window) and an image (sometimes more).  The images work fine, but the text has to be scrolled every time to read it all.  Looks like it's a bug to me.

I had no issues with tables before EN decided to add formatting to them. They haven't worked right for me sense. :(  I tried using BLOCK CODE, but it doesn't allow any formatting to add check lists or bullets, something I use in my tables on a daily basis.

Thanks for the reply.  I don't mind people stating they can or can't move to another forum. I understand that. But I have had responses in the past that state "this is in the wrong forum" with no effort at all made to answer the original question.  I try and post to the correct forum, but I admit I do not follow the forums on a regular basis, so it's easy to not find the micro forum a post goes into. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Momofthrees said:

The problem is, just closing out of EN and reopening without any window changes is enough for it to lose the setting.

I don't think it is a setting.  It is a one time adjustment, like applying a color, that changes the table width to whatever it is in the window in which you are working.  When you close EN and return to the note you should be positioned at the top of the note and assuming the window width is the same as when you left it, the table should be fitting in the window.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, Momofthrees said:

I agree it SHOULD be fitting the window, however even you just close out of EN and reopen, it MAY or MAY not still be the same width.  I really think this is a bug. Why have a ONE TIME function?

It seems to be working for me.  If I create a table and set the width and then exit EN, the table is still window width when I reenter EN.  If a column width is changed, the table width needs to be reset after that.  But as long as you don't change any widths it seems to be okay. 

Don't know however, what happens if you view/edit the table on another device and then sync back if it effects the width on the originating device. 

Got me on why a one time setting.  Though I would prefer a persisting column width parameter to have some control of the process.  Personally don't like columns changing widths on the fly.

Yeah, me neither. It would be nice if it recognized the width of the note on different devices and corrected automatically like images seem to be able to do.  I'd like it better if it defaulted too small over too large which needs to be scrolled to see all the text.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Momofthrees said:

I agree it SHOULD be fitting the window, however even you just close out of EN and reopen, it MAY or MAY not still be the same width.  I really think this is a bug. Why have a ONE TIME function?

The way that you would test this is:

• Bring up the note with the table
  • Export the note to ENML format -- this results in a text file with extension .enex
  • Set the table to match the note width
  • Export the note to ENML format (a different filename)
  • Shut down Evernote
  • Launch Evernote again (hopefully the note window is the same width)
  • Open the note again
  • Export that to ENML format (a different filename yet again)

(btw, all bets are off if you are using a separate window for your note; just use the standard Evernote note window)

So now you should have 3 separate copies of the note, with the table size having been set only once, at the beginning of the process. So now use a diff program (I use BeyondCompare, great program btw but overkill for this; there are other free ones out there, like WinDiff, to compare the formatting of the tables . Theoretically they should be the same.

Edit: Ok, I tested something slightly different. I selected a note with a table, and opened it in a separate window as well (the separate window has a different width than the standard Evernote window). In the first instance, I matched the table width to the note window width, and exported that to ENML format. Then I switched to the separate window, and exported that. Theoretically these should be the same. But when I compared them, the column and table widths for the table were different. This certainly feels like a bug to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2018 at 8:29 PM, jefito said:

Edit: Ok, I tested something slightly different. I selected a note with a table, and opened it in a separate window as well (the separate window has a different width than the standard Evernote window). In the first instance, I matched the table width to the note window width, and exported that to ENML format. Then I switched to the separate window, and exported that. Theoretically these should be the same. But when I compared them, the column and table widths for the table were different. This certainly feels like a bug to me.

Jeff,

Yes, it is definitely a bug, just don't know how to get Evernote to fix it. I do not have time to beta test or walk them through complicated gyrations to get them to see that it is a bug.  I am not trying to be mean, but I have beta tested software before, so I know the kinds of things developers need and I don't have that sort of time any more.  The width should either hold the same as the window you are using or ideally read the width of the screen you are using and adjust to that.

• Level 5*
On 3/18/2018 at 6:29 PM, jefito said:

Then I switched to the separate window, and exported that.

Enough time between to be sure the note in its own window updated?  Sometimes there is a brief lag... 

I don't know, after matching to note width the width seems to persist for me between note panel and note in its own window.  If i adjust a column and reset to match note width in either the other adjusts.  In my case the own window is wider that the note panel and if I change it there the note panel gets the scroll bar.  :wacko:

Not so much on IOS, the columns seem proportional but the text size causes some word wrap I don't see on the PC.  FWIW.

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, Momofthrees said:

Jeff,

Yes, it is definitely a bug, just don't know how to get Evernote to fix it. I do not have time to beta test or walk them through complicated gyrations to get them to see that it is a bug.  I am not trying to be mean, but I have beta tested software before, so I know the kinds of things developers need and I don't have that sort of time any more.  The width should either hold the same as the window you are using or ideally read the width of the screen you are using and adjust to that.

If you've beta tested, then you know that "Evernote has a bug" isn't enough. You need to give them some detail, and the more detail they get, usually the easier it is for them it is to reproduce the problem, and fix it. I know that this isn't news to you. But your time is precious too, and that's valid. So just spend as much time as you can spare, but don't worry about it. Issues in the forums are read (though maybe not responded to all the time). Seems like there's enough to go on here for them to dig into. As for "getting Evernote to fix it", you just have to hope that it finds itself high enough in priority that they'll schedule it earlier rather than later.

Yes, I hope so, It's certainly not hard to replicate.  For now I have been removing them from notes where I have large blocks of text. I am a genealogist so I have lots of wills and deeds in Evernote. The scrolling back and forth makes me car sick.  And only using them for my To Do list notes where the text doesn't have to scroll.

Archived