Are there other ways to view a tag's "parent" and "children" tags besides the sidebar?

In the Mac app, it seems like the only way to view a tag's "parent" and "children" tags is via the tags section of the sidebar.  Am I missing something?  For example, it would be super useful, when viewing a tag itself, to not only see that tag's notes, but to also see - and easily jump to - that tag's parents and children tags.  Is this not possible?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, arose10 said:

when viewing a tag itself, to not only see that tag's notes, but to also see - and easily jump to - that tag's parents and children tags.  Is this not possible?

It seems to me that's covered by the tag display in the sidebar.  Where are you thinking it should be displayed?

29 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It seems to me that's covered by the tag display in the sidebar.  Where are you thinking it should be displayed?

Let's say you did a search for a tag and are currently viewing the tag, and you want to see and perhaps jump to that tag's parent or children tags.  If, like a lot of people, you have several hundred tags, it's a pain to have to then scroll and click through the sidebar to locate the tags in question.  It would be much more convenient to have the parents and children displayed right there.

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I don't disagree about it being convenient; i was just looking for details on the actual display

Currently on the Mac I only see the hierarchy in the sidebar and tag page.  All other displays are alphabetical lists

Yep.  That's what I'm seeing.  Bummer!

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, arose10 said:

It would be much more convenient to have the parents and children displayed right there.

One solution I use is in tag naming convention.
For example, instead of using tagnames  Red, White, Blue, I use Colour-Red, Colour-White, Colour-Blue.  
In an alphabetical list, the tags sort together along with the parent

• Level 5

I use a 3-character prefix to my tags. Search becomes very powerful. 

I use a 2-level hierarchical tag parent/child system. It has served me very well over the past 10 years. I have a lot of tags and this system helps me remember them for easy use.

Some my examples (from 2013)
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/46901-feature-request-tag-inheritance/?do=findComment&comment=241483

53 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

I use a 3-character prefix to my tags. Search becomes very powerful. 

I use a 2-level hierarchical tag parent/child system. It has served me very well over the past 10 years. I have a lot of tags and this system helps me remember them for easy use.

Some my examples (from 2013)
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/46901-feature-request-tag-inheritance/?do=findComment&comment=241483

Yes, my approach is fairly similar, but it's still frustrating not to have easy access to parent and children tags when viewing a tag.  Sometimes it's helpful to see the hierarchy right in front of you without having to resort to search or fumble through the sidebar menu.

Archived