What counts against my upload limit?

Lemini

I have a premium subscription so my upload limit is 10GB. I know that adding files to my account will count against my upload limit, but what is the effect of modifying files? Specifically I want to move from notebook based organization to tag based organization. My plan is to shift all of my uploaded PDF documents to a generic "PDF" notebook and then use tags on each file to separate the files out by topic.

If I were to do this re-organization in the web client and then sync down the changes, would this count against my upload limit? I was under the impression that when you make changes in the desktop or mobile apps it re-uploads the file and therefore counts against the limit but in this case I'm making changes on the server and then pulling the changes down (I'm not uploading anything new).

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, Lemini said:

I have a premium subscription so my upload limit is 10GB. I know that adding files to my account will count against my upload limit, but what is the effect of modifying files? Specifically I want to move from notebook based organization to tag based organization. My plan is to shift all of my uploaded PDF documents to a generic "PDF" notebook and then use tags on each file to separate the files out by topic.

If I were to do this re-organization in the web client and then sync down the changes, would this count against my upload limit? I was under the impression that when you make changes in the desktop or mobile apps it re-uploads the file and therefore counts against the limit but in this case I'm making changes on the server and then pulling the changes down (I'm not uploading anything new).

Good question
As you indicated, changing the notebook/tag does not update the note itself; just the metadata

My experience is on a Mac
The Mac database is relatively small and changes should have little effect on your upload limit

I used one of my larger notes (200mb) and added/deleted tags and syncing a dozen times
The sync was fast and my upload numbers didn't change

This was on my Mac where the notes and metadata are kept separate.
Not sure of Windows where the notes and metadata are combined into the database

So, I'm thinking you're safe with those types of changes if on a Mac

I would prefer doing mass changes like this on my desktop platform - it has better features than the web platform

• Level 5*

A Google search for "Evernote upload limit" turned up the following Evernote FAQ that may be useful: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005827-FAQ-for-upload-limits.

You may be editing using the web client, but I doubt that that makes a difference; the note is still synced (a copy made, i.e.) down to the web browser, and changes are still synced up to the server. That being said, making minimal changes to the notes like that isn't going to kill your 10GB limit, even if you do a lot of them. If you were changing every PDF, you might possibly run into a problem, but even that seems a little far-fetched.

Archived