Default PDF viewer (Foxit)?

• Level 5

A couple of non-critical, mainly curiosity-driven questions here. When I hover the mouse over the top line of an inline PDF attachment, I get the little popup dialog. The leftmost icon is a kind of eye, and the popup info for it says, "Evernote PDF Reader Powered by Foxit Corporation." I seem to remember that one time when I clicked that, the PDF did open in an unfamiliar program, which was not bad to work with. I could just be making that up, I admit; brain cells fall by the wayside these days. At any rate, when I click that eye icon now, the PDF opens in my default PDF reader, Adobe Acrobat Reader. If I right-click on the PDF, I get a menu that includes "Open PDF in Foxit"; but clicking that just takes me to the Foxit Website, with the opportunity to download the Foxit Reader (which I don't think I have on my system).

So, (1) why does the popup dialog indicate I'll be using the Evernote/Foxit Reader if that's not what happens; (2) why does the right-click dialog offer to open the PDF in Foxit if it can't? Is this just a case of hard-coded dialogs that aren't in touch with my system, or does EN have a deal with Foxit so they're trying to steer me that way?

• Level 5
On 6/18/2016 at 3:39 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

So, (1) why does the popup dialog indicate I'll be using the Evernote/Foxit Reader if that's not what happens; (2) why does the right-click dialog offer to open the PDF in Foxit if it can't? Is this just a case of hard-coded dialogs that aren't in touch with my system, or does EN have a deal with Foxit so they're trying to steer me that way?

1 - The PDF toolbar's tooltip just indicates that the in-note PDF viewer is "powered by FoxIt". In other words, Foxit provides the library that we use to implement that functionality.

2 - Yes, the tooltip and right-click option are part of our licensing deal.

Archived