Fix the editor and sync. Provide easy export do Office

mwlodarski

Idea

Evernote,

You are excellent in collecting things. I was trying to leave you but I failed. There is no other tool that makes cross-platform collection so well.

Your OCR & search features are great, too. It makes me put nearly everything I save to my drive into Evernote, only to be able to find it in the future.

But there are two areas where you suck and why I am trying to leave you (without success so far).
  1. The editor
    1. Pasting lists, numbered lists, nested lists  into Word / Google Doc does not work. Formatting is lost and I need to do my work in Word again.
    2. Tables? Same story, no matter if I paste to Excel or Google Doc.
    3. Here’s this note pasted into Word
It is extremely important to have an editor in which one can do the work before it gets copied into Word and sent forward. I understand Mr. Libin set a goal to destroy Office but, come on, you’re not 13-year old boy. Your customers are professionals. They use you not only to collect tiny pieces of information, but prepare real documents, do real work in a friendly environment.

I love all the ways you let me collect screenshots while writing a report. Just one click and the image is there - right where I need it. One more click and I can annotate it. No need to leave Evernote whili producing it. Additional insight during commute? No problem, I add it into my report on the phone. But when the document is ready I need a way to export my work to real world. I am not going to share it via workchat or via your Evernote-branded share URL. At the moment I just copy the note content into Word / Google Doc and spend time fixing formatting. This makes me try to leave you, Evernote. I am not paid to fix formatting. You need to find a way to export to .docx and Google Docs as there are current business standards. Otherwise, there is no way individual business users are going to adopt you on wider scale.

Example: I am Evernote Premium user and really love it. I have 5 people at my very project whom I would like to recommend you as a full-stack solution. But I cannot because of the editor. I am sure there are millions like me.

2. Sync - it works poorly. Takes to much time to sync notes. When is the Apple-like sync coming? It should be syncing all my changes all the time, not just every X minutes. I know you can do it better. Prioritize it and get it finally done. Sync every X minutes is like 1999.

Thanks in advance

8 replies to this idea

Evernote,

You are excellent in collecting things. I was trying to leave you but I failed. There is no other tool that makes cross-platform collection so well.

Your OCR & search features are great, too. It makes me put nearly everything I save to my drive into Evernote, only to be able to find it in the future.

But there are two areas where you suck and why I am trying to leave you (without success so far).
  1. The editor
    1. Pasting lists, numbered lists, nested lists  into Word / Google Doc does not work. Formatting is lost and I need to do my work in Word again.
    2. Tables? Same story, no matter if I paste to Excel or Google Doc.
    3. Here’s this note pasted into Word
It is extremely important to have an editor in which one can do the work before it gets copied into Word and sent forward. I understand Mr. Libin set a goal to destroy Office but, come on, you’re not 13-year old boy. Your customers are professionals. They use you not only to collect tiny pieces of information, but prepare real documents, do real work in a friendly environment.

I love all the ways you let me collect screenshots while writing a report. Just one click and the image is there - right where I need it. One more click and I can annotate it. No need to leave Evernote whili producing it. Additional insight during commute? No problem, I add it into my report on the phone. But when the document is ready I need a way to export my work to real world. I am not going to share it via workchat or via your Evernote-branded share URL. At the moment I just copy the note content into Word / Google Doc and spend time fixing formatting. This makes me try to leave you, Evernote. I am not paid to fix formatting. You need to find a way to export to .docx and Google Docs as there are current business standards. Otherwise, there is no way individual business users are going to adopt you on wider scale.

Example: I am Evernote Premium user and really love it. I have 5 people at my very project whom I would like to recommend you as a full-stack solution. But I cannot because of the editor. I am sure there are millions like me.

2. Sync - it works poorly. Takes to much time to sync notes. When is the Apple-like sync coming? It should be syncing all my changes all the time, not just every X minutes. I know you can do it better. Prioritize it and get it finally done. Sync every X minutes is like 1999.

Thanks in advance

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, mwlodarski said:

I understand Mr. Libin set a goal to destroy Office

Where does that come from?  I see no evidence of it at all.

>> suck  The editor

I find the editor ok for basic notes, but agree it is not the product for serious word processing or spreadsheet functions. I use dedicated applications for these functions.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, mwlodarski said:

I understand Mr. Libin set a goal to destroy Office but, come on, you’re not 13-year old boy.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Where does that come from?  I see no evidence of it at all.

This is actually fairly well-known.  It has been discussed a number of times in these forums.

Here is one example:
Evernote"s Phil Libin Has Come to Bury Microsoft Office, Not Praise It 

For those that don't know, Libin is the co-founder and former CEO of Evernote.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I find the editor ok for basic notes, but agree it is not the product for serious word processing or spreadsheet functions. I used dedicated applications for these functions.

I think you missed the OP's point:  He wants to use Evernote as a front end to word processors like MS Word.  He is NOT asking for Evernote to be a word processor, but that it provide proper and normal copy and paste between Evernote and MS Office.  There have been many complaints about this.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I think you missed the OP's point:  He wants to use Evernote as a front end to word processors like MS Word.  He is NOT asking for Evernote to be a word processor, but that it provide proper and normal copy and paste between Evernote and MS Office.  There have been many complaints about this.

Its not that I missed his point.
I agree the editor is basic, and added I wouldn't use it beyond writing simple notes. Certainly not as a front end to MS Office.
In addition to the points mentioned, there are other problems with copying/pasting, for example other customized elements get messed up (like checkboxes)

>>I understand Mr. Libin set a goal to destroy Office
>>Evernote"s Phil Libin Has Come to Bury Microsoft Office, Not Praise It

Thanks for the background.  I just say Evernote as a tool for Information Management; my digital filing cabinet.  I never considered the sinister implications behid it.:(

Yep, basic notes are OK, but what do I find at www.evernote.com - company's website. Here you are:

WRITE

From short lists to lengthy research, no matter what form your writing takes, Evernote keeps you focused on moving those ideas from inspiration to completion.

I attach a screenshot, too. This is not just basic notes.

If you look at the title of their website, you will find this:

The workspace for your life’s work | Evernote

Again, work, not just basiv notes. Work means Office in most cases. Even mighty Apple's productivity suite is not very popular in comparison to Office.

I am (un)lucky enough to be able to work anywhere I like. I can work on my stuff at the office, in my car, in my bedroom. Sometimes I want to add something while gardening or in the middle of the forrest when I am cycling with kids. I even have something to add while reading in bed before falling asleep.  

Evernote is great in letting me capture my thoughts in all these situations. It saves me a ton of time. And then, when the time to submit the document comes, I lose all my savings fighting with formatting.

There must be a better way. Please find it, I am sure you can.

Zrzut ekranu 2016-04-07 o 19.21.59.png

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, DTLow said:

I agree the editor is basic, and added I wouldn't use it beyond writing simple notes. Certainly not as a front end to MS Office.

While I have no direct evidence, I suspect that many Evernote users use Evernote as a "frontend" to a variety of other apps, certainly including word processors.  By "frontend" I mean the initial collection, drafting, and organization of info, which would often include simple styling like bullets and numbered lists.  When I copy something from Evernote and paste into MS Word, Pages, PowerPoint, etc, I expect what I paste to have retained the formatting in Evernote, until I decide to change it in the target app.

Archived