Global View of To Do items

I am currently using Onenote after leaving Evernote a long time ago.  Considering switching back.  My biggest frustration with onenote is that I am an architect working on quite a few projects.  Within each project section in onenote I have to do items so I dont forget to incorporate details my clients request into my designs.

With onenote there is no global view that always remains open or a dedicated page to see it across all of my projects.  Kind of like a check list of did I do this, that, or the other thing.

Does Evernote do that?

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, ivanjay205 said:

I am currently using Onenote after leaving Evernote a long time ago.  Considering switching back.  My biggest frustration with onenote is that I am an architect working on quite a few projects.  Within each project section in onenote I have to do items so I dont forget to incorporate details my clients request into my designs.

With onenote there is no global view that always remains open or a dedicated page to see it across all of my projects.  Kind of like a check list of did I do this, that, or the other thing.

Does Evernote do that?

Neither of these products have the features of a dedicated task management app.

Some users, including myself have successfully implemented processes for task management.

If you're interested, you can search the forums for GTD and TSW.  I'd also recommend looking at the TSW (The Secret Weapon) web site.

@ivanjay205 - Here is an approach with Evernote that will do what I think you are looking for. Set up some of your Notes as I outline below and give it a try to see how you like it.

• Make each of your "To Do Items" a separate Note.
  • Tag Note each with these Tags:
    • ToDoItem
    • ProjectIDOrName (or, put the value in the Note's Title)
    • ClientIDOrName (or, put the value in the Note's Title)
    • Status=xxxxxxxxxx (where xxxxxxxxxx takes on values like: NotStarted, Started, Completed, Canceled. - - - Define a standard set of values that works for you.)
  • When you want to get a global view of your "To Do Items", switch to Evernote's "List" view and click on the Tag named "ToDoItem". That will show you a list of all your "To Do Items".

I hope some variation of the above works for you. 

• Level 5*

What @Analyst444 says plus a thought relative to project tasks.  For projects, I stopped using a status and simply use a todo tag and a PhaseExpress hotkey which puts _Completed yyyy.mm.dd hh:mm tt in the note when I complete the work.  The _ is important because it creates a unique search. 

From a process perspecitve, I don't delete the todo tag and use a saved search (saved to the shortcut bar) of tag:todo -_Completed to find open tasks.  In this way I have less tag maintenance and if I want I can go back and determine when I completed the task. 

Plus its only one click away.  The same can be done with a todo tag and statuses for sure.  I just liked the benefit of the completed time and tried to same myself some clicks.  FWIW.

Archived