Just re-installed windows -- data is still there somewhere... HELP

Hi!

Just had to reinstall Windows 7. Not the friendly "you get to keep your installed programs installed" reinstall,, nor even the "you get to keep your drivers installed" reinstall.

No, we are talking a "I don't think Windows has ever been on this system" fresh install. And here is the problem--a major chunk of my Evernote file database was in a file that was NOT backed up with the Evernote cloud services. I had copied it over and it was too big for the free monthly limit, so I placed it in an un-archived (by Evernote) folder, and then a few days later paid for the basic pay package. Naturally, I never got around to moving the stored information over to a cloud-archived directory...

End result, about half of my database is stored in the Evernote cloud, and about half is sitting on my harddrive. I did not lose ANY of my data files, so my un-clouded directory is still on my harddrive--somewhere.

Where would I find it, and how would I pull it back into Evernote after I reinstall Evernote? (Right now the system is siting next to me looking for every Windows 7 update ever created, which takes some time.... I figured I would do that first.)

As always, TIA!

12 minutes ago, csihilling said:

How did you save the un-archived by EN chunk?

Ummm... I created a a folder that was not archived by the Evernote cloud, and then imported all of the data into into it. So, wherever Evernote stores data by default is where it is.

I still have the ENEX file from the original import, but I did a lot of tagging on those records since then, and would hate to have to re-do it all.

• Level 5*

I think you mean you created a local notebook. one that doesn't sync with EN cloud.  If that is the case the notes in that notebook are stored locally in the same file as the notes you sync with the cloud.  That file has an extension of EXB (Tools - Options - General to see the name and location).  If that EXB file is still on your system after the Windows install you should be okay.  If not, there could be issues with the local notes..

Tip:  If you use local notebooks you need to back them up using the ENEX export notes option available when you right click on a notebook name.  You have to create your own backups for local notebooks.

THAT WAS IT!!!

Apparently a long time ago I told Evernote to store anything it makes in a directory that I use as a root dir of all my self-created docs.(everything in the dir gets copied to a backup PC every day.

And there it is!

MANY thanks!

Ya. The set-up I have copies EVERY document/data file I make out to a second PC every morning. The Evernote notebooks are included in the mix. 

I had forgotten that I had set up Evernote to use that core DOC directory as it's notebook location root, as all notebooks are auto-stored on the Cloud.

And, on the plus side, I am almost halfway through the Updates for Win 7...

I hate Microsoft....

• Level 5*

I'm not a Windows user so you should wait and hear from some Windows gurus.

Before you mess with your .exb database, disconnect from the Internet - you don't want to trigger sync activity until you're ready. Also, shut down Evernote.

afaik  You just have to swap the .exb file.

• Level 5*

First, make a copy of your EXB file and note where the location of the live version.  Just in case.

1. Then sign out of EN, File - Sign out - username.
  2. You should get an EN sign in splash screen.
  3. Go to Evernote - Options - General and change the location to the location you noted above.
  4. Then select have an account and sign in.

You should be back in business then.

34 minutes ago, csihilling said:

First, make a copy of your EXB file and note where the location of the live version.  Just in case.

1. Then sign out of EN, File - Sign out - username.
  2. You should get an EN sign in splash screen.
  3. Go to Evernote - Options - General and change the location to the location you noted above.
  4. Then select have an account and sign in.

You should be back in business then.

Did all of that, and it cautioned me against moving the database location--I might overwrite local folders.

Did it anyway. Logged in, and it was all the same. Database points to the new location, but it didn't "find" the local notebook.

I think I am going to import the old export file and just retag things--unless anyone has a another idea?

Well, I bit the bullet -- 360 notes imported and needing to be retagged....

I want to thank EVERYONE for the attempt at the solution. We may have gotten there eventually, but if I tag one note per. second, I will be done in a mere 6 minutes!

So, realistically, retagging will only be about an hour, and I figured that would be faster than further attempts.

And, yes, they have been pulled into a synchronized file :)

Again, thanks for the assist!

• Level 5*

You are welcome and glad it worked out.  Still don't quite understand what the format was of your local file.  If it had an ENEX extension then I get it....

Anyway, if you export to ENEX again, go to the options panel and make sure Tags is selected.  You won't have to enter tags should this happen again.  ;)

8 minutes ago, csihilling said:

You are welcome and glad it worked out.  Still don't quite understand what the format was of your local file.  If it had an ENEX extension then I get it....

Anyway, if you export to ENEX again, go to the options panel and make sure Tags is selected.  You won't have to enter tags should this happen again.  ;)

LOL! Oh, it still had the tags... but about 2 days after I exported the file and then imported it into the new database I had gone through and re-tagged all 360 of them, because they were all the SAME tag. 

Basically, we decided to split the database to give our largest tag-count its own database and team.

But, no biggie, it will take me at most an hour...

... or... two.

Take care!

Archived