Windows "Save As" Dialog box

When I want to save something like a clipped image somewhere outside of Evernote, I get this terrible Old-school dialog box:

dialog1.png

Note that I can't even get to OneDrive like this. I have to back out to "This PC" and run down to my user folder through multiple levels to do so.

Meanwhile, nearly every other program I use pops up a traditional Save As  dialog box that looks like this:

standard%20dialog.png

Basically it's the standard File Explorer window with the standard Navigation Panel.

Why is this? Certainly I can't be the first to have noticed this. I can't imagine anyone would prefer how it is now to a standard box. Can you change this in the next update?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Can't say I care whether the dialog is 'old school' or not - I'm a little that way myself.  As long as it does what's necessary. 

I can save to my OneDrive folder quite happily without having to navigate around.  I used the 'view' icon (top right,  circled below) to get a listing exactly like your second illustration,  which shows my OneDrive folder,  and I can also see the same folder in the larger top centre 'save in' dropdown.

screengrab.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

If you have "desktop" in the left pane and you have a link to OneDrive on your desktop then I suppose that will work.
But the view button does absolutely nothing to the left navigation pane. It just changes you from seeing icons to details and such on the right pane. No matter what you put the view setting on, it still limits where I can easily get to because the left navigation pane in the Save As dialog box on Evernote still only has 5 locations. From there if you want to store something anywhere else you have to drill down or go back up the directory structure from one of those 5 locations. If you don't have "Computer" on the desktop or on one of those 5 locations, then you can't even get to your C drive root without a bunch of clicking.

With the second example, it's the standard Windows file explorer with a full left navigation pane where you can pin dozens of favorite folders, have access to all drives directly. I could duplicate this by putting shortcuts to whatever folders I want on the desktop or within a separate folder and then customize the places bar with access to that folder but why when the standard file explorer dialog box exists already and can be called instead of the places bar with a change to a single line of code?

• Level 5*

Could be that Evernote started out consistently,  but one update or another changed the code for one link so it no longer generated the same folder as the other.  With 150M users,  it's not like they can just take things offline for a few minutes while they change the code and issue a new version though.  If you complete a bug report for this it'll get filtered into the  thousands of other glitches they're dealing with and corrected as quickly as possible.  In the meantime,  if you have a workaround...

On 3/10/2016 at 6:31 PM, gazumped said:

Could be that Evernote started out consistently,  but one update or another changed the code for one link so it no longer generated the same folder as the other.  With 150M users,  it's not like they can just take things offline for a few minutes while they change the code and issue a new version though.  If you complete a bug report for this it'll get filtered into the  thousands of other glitches they're dealing with and corrected as quickly as possible.  In the meantime,  if you have a workaround...

Nope. No workaround. And I don't think it's a bug. I think it's always been this way but as the number of possible places to store things grows, the use of the places bar instead of the navigation panel no longer makes sense. I'm not looking for a quick fix. This is an "ideas" thread and I was hoping for input from other users and maybe a change on one of the next few releases. Thanks for trying to help though.

Archived