Suggestion: Index Notes

Using notebooks intensively creates notebooks containing hundreds of notes. Ordering by title or data is not of great help. If you are a blogger or keep your diary, an index can help to get a quick overview and to access notes quickly. However, this needs some manual action to copy note links and to paste them into the index. This could be done automatically. One needs only to extract the title line, create the link information and then write it into the index note. I think that could be a very helpful gadget for users working with large notebooks.

Using notebooks intensively creates notebooks containing hundreds of notes. Ordering by title or data is not of great help. If you are a blogger or keep your diary, an index can help to get a quick overview and to access notes quickly. However, this needs some manual action to copy note links and to paste them into the index. This could be done automatically. One needs only to extract the title line, create the link information and then write it into the index note. I think that could be a very helpful gadget for users working with large notebooks.

I use Table of Content

How do I create a table of contents with links to other notes?

And when a new notes is created, I add it using "Copy note link"

How to use note links to connect between notes

I try to make it more evident: tags work fine, but don't allow to give explanations, comments etc. on a note. For instance, I collect material for my lectures in a notebook. Part of my index looks like:

Cancer

GenomeWeb Daily News | GenomeWeb // Repeated Whole-Exome Sequencing of Tumor
Complexity / simplicity - Weinberg 2014 // comment from Weinberg on the classical review

Once the index is build, I can add, modify etc. the links to the notes. Adding is just as easy. But for the first step, creating the list is somewhat tedious.

Archived