"Gotcha" Account Level Limitations

When I tried to get help on a subject, I was informed by the Evernote help page that direct Evernote support of any kind is available only to Premium customers. I've also seen a forum post (after I posted my own question) saying that iOS Touch ID is available only to Premium customers. When I look at the Evernote pricing page, I see no mention of these limitations!

What other "gotcha" limitations are there on non-Premium accounts? The pricing page should clearly define all the differences in functionality or support between the various plan levels! I feel that this is not good behavior nor ethical on the part of Evernote. It's certainly reasonable to have limitations between plan levels, but it's not right for them to not be clearly disclosed!

Thank you.

When I tried to get help on a subject, I was informed by the Evernote help page that direct Evernote support of any kind is available only to Premium customers. I've also seen a forum post (after I posted my own question) saying that iOS Touch ID is available only to Premium customers. When I look at the Evernote pricing page, I see no mention of these limitations!

What other "gotcha" limitations are there on non-Premium accounts? The pricing page should clearly define all the differences in functionality or support between the various plan levels! I feel that this is not good behavior nor ethical on the part of Evernote. It's certainly reasonable to have limitations between plan levels, but it's not right for them to not be clearly disclosed!

Thank you.

Here is information about Evernote account levels the comparison chart from Evernote Knowledge Base

More details than on the pricing page

Thanks for your reply, but the link you provided takes me to the knowledge base page, but to no article. Searching on the article number finds no kb article with that number. I tried searching for "account levels", but got no results.

If a kb article does exist, that's helpful, but the information should still be on the Evernote pricing page, even if it is in the form of a note at the bottom of the table with something like: "For more details about the differences between account levels, click here.", which would take one to that kb article. One shouldn't have to divine that there is more information than is being presented. Who would?

Hi Tony,

The knowledge base article for the different membership tiers:

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23258452

It does mention Customer Support... but no mention of iOS Touch ID. It was updated on the 11th of last month. Not too clued up about when Touch ID came out... but either way, I agree that Evernote should be more on top of these details. The customer support thing certainly seems like one that I would include in the page you linked to... especially if that's the more visible page of the two.

To answer your question... I don't think there are any core limitations overlooked on the promotion page linked to... and I don't know if I would call them "Gotcha" limitations... at least not the intention - because CS  makes a better case for upgrading to Plus or Premium... and it wouldn't be bait unless one had to fork over some money. You didn't mention whether you were a Basic or Plus member. If you upgraded to Plus, thinking you'd get Chat support (not just "agent support"), for instance, I can imagine that would be disappointing. But keep in mind that Evernote has opened up some other means of rather effective support: Facebook and Twitter (@evernotehelps) which Evernote employees respond to real quick... and this forum (mostly user-based) where you generally get knowledgeable people ready to bend over backwards to help find solutions.

As far as other unknown limitations... I don't think the Plus tier deliberately goes out of its way to mislead people. I, myself have never needed Evernote's customer support. Any issues I've had have generally been sorted by searching the net, tinkering, waiting for the next updates and visiting this forum frequently. 

I think your 2 examples of omissions (on the page you linked to) are not core Evernote features. Certainly not Chat support. I wouldn't go so far as to bring up ethics. Maybe attention to detail. I'm a stickler for detail, so I get your concern. Attention to detail is crucial... or, at least in this case, uniformity of information.

Hope you'll stick around the forums here.

Cheers!

Thanks for your reply, but the link you provided takes me to the knowledge base page, but to no article. Searching on the article number finds no kb article with that number. I tried searching for "account levels", but got no results.

I fixed the link.

• Level 5*

Evernote seems to take the view (judging by various posts I've seen) that they're happy for users to stick with the free version if that suits their needs and upgrade only if necessary and because they want to.  Up till now the upgrade options were Premium (which had much higher limits) and Business (which is Premium for groups).  By introducing the Plus level they've shuffled some benefits around,  and maybe not quite caught up with all the implications - though since it's possible to switch up and down between tiers of membership at a month's notice,  and with Plus,  the monthly subscription isn't exactly huge,  I don't see Evernote greatly adding to their income stream with confused customers...

• 1 month later...

I have a few questions on the limitations. 

So it says for the free plan the upload  limit is 60MB, but I would like a detailed description on how that works.

I'm on a Mac computer, so when I'm typing notes and they are being saved, are they being 'uploaded'? Does that account for my 60MB or are any of those files stored locally and they do not account for the 60MB?

What does the term 'uploaded' really mean, is that simply 'saving' a note or some other process to actually upload a note?

Since the 60MB on the free plan resets monthly, then this would imply that the files are stored locally on my Mac and I have to perform a specific process to 'upload' to EN and have that account towards my 60MB limit. Is this correct?

• Level 5*

Hi.  The Help Center answers a lot of questions - see - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005237  - for more on Sync forinstance.

Briefly on your queries,  your account lives mainly on Evernote's server.  Any device you connect to the account with your user name and password can see all the notes.  Devices with ample permanent storage - usually desktops - have a copy of the database stored locally so you can work offline when necessary.  Mobile devices have to download notes to view them,  but can create new content which is sent to the server when a connection is available.  As you create a note it is temporarily held on the local device,  but regularly during,  and definitely after completion it will be 'synced' - compared with the server copy to see if any changes have been made.  Any changes are duly saved back to the server.  The total size of the note,  and of any subsequent changes to it,  form part of your 'upload allowance'.

For comparison,  this website - http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/definition/How-many-bytes-for - suggests "one meter (or close to a yard) of shelved books" would occupy 100 megabytes of storage.  So unless you plan to write War & Peace a couple of times over,  60MB should be a reasonable allowance.  (Beware (obviously) large pictures or music/ video files!)

The allowance resets each month,  so in a full year you could save nearly 1GB which (same website) is equivalent to "A pickup truck filled with books".  It's also possible to create Local (unsynced) notebooks which are not subject to the upload limits,  or upgrade to a Plus or Premium account if you find the limits too low and want your notes available wherever you are.

Archived