How do I set up classroom notebooks?

Okay, here's what I want (and btw this is exactly what my teaching partner has, and is already using, but she has a MAC and things just don't look the same):

* I'm a teacher, and I want all 31 of my students to have 5 notebooks that they share with me: math, science, etc. I place all of their notebooks of a certain subject stacked on my teacher notebook. That is...in my Teacher Math notebook are 31 student math notebooks. I click on the Teacher notebook, and I see all of theirs, and I can inspect their work, assignments, etc., communicate with them, the usual.

Same thing for writing, science, etc.  Is that clear? Please tell me if it isn't. 

The problem is that I can't figure out what to do at this point. I had them create Evernote accounts, which they all did. They sent me notes to check, we're good. 

Then I had them create their 5 notebooks each. I was told that to share a notebook with me they need to create a note in it first. I had them do that. Then they sent the note to me (and give permission to "edit and invite.")   

So I have a ton of notebooks arriving. What I was told was that I should now "share" each of their notebooks with myself; that is, my own email. I did this. 

I want to now stack all the incoming notebooks, but it doesn't seem to work. 

Is there ANYONE who can just give me a simple 1, 2, 3, workflow/explanation of how to get this happening? I just see tons of notes and notebooks and I can't figure out what to do.....THANKS for any help! 

• Level 5*

Hi.

It sounds like you did everything necessary up to and including receiving the notebooks.  The only bit I didn't understand was:

"share" each of their notebooks with myself; that is, my own email.

AFAICS there was no need to re-share any notebooks shared with you by students.

If you've done that,  you have probably doubled the number of notebooks you received with lots of extraneous shares.  When your student shares with you,  that's one incoming notebook.  You presumably have 5 emails from each student,  one per notebook;  so I'd recommend processing all 5 emails from one student so you can add those shared notebooks to a stack in the name of that student,  or add them to separate stacks for math, science etc so you have all student notebooks in one subject stack.

If you have extra notebooks shared from yourself,  just delete/ unshare/ remove the notebooks.  If you have any extra notebooks shared by students,  I'd recommend caution - delete/ unshare etc notebook(s) from one student carefully - you can always ask that student to re-share if that causes problems.

Once you've got all this working,  I'd recommend taking a copy of your databases folder as a backup.  Evernote > Tools > Options > General to get the location,  then File > Exit to leave Evernote temporarily and copy that folder somewhere safe.  Do that on a daily basis (you can delete extra copies after 3 or 5 saves) because 1) this is your complete student history you're dealing with on one hard drive and 2) the only other copy is on a server someplace a long way from you...

Just to wrap that up - my take on the whole process...

1. Create your Evernote account
  2. Get students to set up an account with one notebook per subject
  3. All students share each notebook with you
  4. You receive emails for incoming shares
  5. Join shared notebooks one email at time
  6. Add notebook to stack(s) for either student or subject
  7. Backup database folder
  • Level 5*

personally, i think there is way too much sharing of notebooks going on, especially with the 250 notebook limit in mind. here is how i did some of my classes:

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=1724

if you get it working, it might be helpful if you could let us know how it goes here and / or link to a blog post, because i imagine other teachers would be interested to learn more.

Guys, I tried the suggestions but it's hopeless at this point. Nothing works. I have all these "Notebook stacks" that I somehow created but it wasn't what I wanted. It says to create a stack, just stack them. I do that and it doesn't work. I can't select notebooks and put them where I want to. What a mess.....it's just not supposed to be this hard...

Is there any service where someone can actually look at my screen and say "Oh! This is what you need to do." Anything like that? I'd gladly pay for that service.....

• Level 5*

Guys, I tried the suggestions but it's hopeless at this point. Nothing works. I have all these "Notebook stacks" that I somehow created but it wasn't what I wanted. It says to create a stack, just stack them. I do that and it doesn't work. I can't select notebooks and put them where I want to. What a mess.....it's just not supposed to be this hard...

Is there any service where someone can actually look at my screen and say "Oh! This is what you need to do." Anything like that? I'd gladly pay for that service.....

i don't know if you tried my suggestion, because it was basically not to create stacks, and to only use one notebook (see link above). but, if you want to do the stacks, and you are having this trouble, contacting customer support, or taking a screencast and giving us a link to it might help.

Archived