General question re: Storage

New user here, trying to understand Evernote.

When I "move" a file into Evernote, I notice that only a copy is placed in Evernote. The original file remains in it previous location on my computer. Is it true that Evernote then files a copy on my computer and an additional copy in their "cloud"?   I happen to  have a separate back-up disk. So, my file is being stored in 5 places: (1) original file on my computer (2) Evernote file on my computer  (3 Evernote cloud  (4) the backup of  my computer's Evernote files  (5) the backup of my original file.

I'm assuming, then, that it would be ok to delete the original file and it's backup copy. This would still leave the file in 3 places: (1) in Evernote on my computer  (2) in the backup of Evernote on my backup disk  (3) in Evernote's cloud.  Am I thinking correctly?

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you're talking about a desktop version of Evernote,  then yes - there's a database file (actually a lot of files) saved on your local desktop,  plus a copy that is,  provided you have a viable internet connection,  synced (synchronised) with a copy on Evernote's server.  The two Evernote locations are copies of each other.   You could certainly delete the original and the backup of the original,  but it is a really good idea (IMHO) to have a separate backup of the file somewhere in case something goes wrong.

• Level 5*

Hi AL_S - just meant;  having another copy (in your control) is good - so your backup of the whole database or your backup of the original file would be enough.  Evernote (local copy) and Evernote (server copy) are effectively the same thing.  you need your own copy (MHO) for complete security - actually Grandfather / Father / Son copies are the ideal...

• Level 5*

I'm assuming, then, that it would be ok to delete the original file and it's backup copy. This would still leave the file in 3 places: (1) in Evernote on my computer  (2) in the backup of Evernote on my backup disk  (3) in Evernote's cloud.  Am I thinking correctly?

Al, don't rely on Everyone as a backup system, since it is not one.

See Evernote Backup and Restore Options

In addition to the above link, I would maintain a separate backup of all files that are critical, or even important, to me.

Restoring a single file using Time Machine (or other backup system) is far easier than finding and restoring a file attached to an EN Note.  I make use of a Synology Network Attached Storage (NAS) box just for this purpose.

I like your advice. I've been concerned about deleting important files. I think I'll create a folder on my Mac for "Important files". Not everything needs to go in there, of course. It may be precious file, if ever needed.

Archived