Public share link in PDF doesn't work

I inserted a few Evernote public share link in my Microsoft Word document and tested that those links work. However, when I save the doc in PDF and tried those links, I keep getting an error message, for all of those public share links.

Does anyone else have the same problem and know how to make the link work in PDF?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm not familiar with 'public share' links in Word - are you talking about standard http:// links to web pages?  Try saving your word document to PDF and test the link in the PDF file.  Does that work outside of Evernote?  If so,  there's no reason why it shouldn't work when attached to the note (AFAIK).  If not,  your PDF settings may need adjustment...

• Level 5*

OK,  but if you open the pdf file on your desktop - before you save it to Evernote - does the link still work?  The fact that it works in the word file doesn't help - we're trying to work out whether this is a PDF issue or an Evernote one.  If you've saved a searchable PDF file,  AFAIK Evernote doesn't re-scan the contents to identify possible links - it just indexes what's there for searches. 

Okay I need to clarify. The Evernote public link is not the link to word file. Let's say I saved a few photos of cats in Evernote. And I'm writing an article about cats in word file. And I insert that Evernote public share link in the word file for reference. The link in the word file works. It takes me to the Evernote web of the cat photos. But when I save the word file in pdf format, the link opens Evernote site that says there's an error.

• Level 5*

Clarification all around I think..

I got the picture (sorry) about your saving the link.  I think it goes like this - you;re testing the link at both ends,  but there's three steps...  and not all PDF files have working links.

Word file = cats + link to Evernote file.  Link works

Save/ print file to PDF on desktop = cats + link                                                              <<< does this link work?

Evernote = PDF container (Word file + cats and link).  Link fails

(I guess you may be saving everything to Evernote directly.)

All of which makes me think - the short-term workaround may be just to copy and paste the link(s) into the note directly so they can be recognised as such.

You might also want to report this as a bug so Evernote can look at the whole process!

Choose "report a bug..." in the first dropdown after logging in here > https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

- or reach out on Twitter @Evernotehelps (include the forum thread URL for extra background)

Premium / Business users also have access to a Chat option (7am-7pm PST weekdays) - click 'continue' on the support page after logging in.

Good luck...

Archived