Arial vs Helvetica - When the font is not available ?

Hello,

i'm writing this question in the Mac section but it could be as well in the Windows part because it's about the usage of Evernote in both the environment.

When i write a note on Evernote Mac, i'm using the Helvetica font on my MacBook Pro.

But my question is : how Evernote handles the fact that this font doesn't exist on my Windows laptop ?

It seems it uses Arial. But when i save it and open it again in Evernote Mac, will it change it back to Helvetica ?

In other words, is there a defined rule about font and non-existing font when switching from a machine (environment) to another ?

Thanks

F.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'd think this is worth a test note to see exactly what happens with your specific set-up.  I'd imagine that there's a hierarchy of fonts somewhere that says: "display this text in the original font.  If that's not available,  use the closest approximation available."  Your text should (MHO) come back in the original font roviding you don't alter the formatting when editing.  There are so many word-processing apps and so many combinations of OS and hardware thought that sometimes the 'closest approximation' may not appear to be be very close...  If in doubt,  do a test.

Yes, i will make a test but i was thinking about it and don't have a Windows machine right now.

But i have already seen that Helvetica notes on Mac appeared in Arial on Windows, but as i have also Arial on my Mac, will the modified note keep the idea of Helvetica or remain Arial forever .. 

Looking for the rule implemented in Evernote to be sure of the behaviour.

I'll make a test tomorrow

Hi.  I'd think this is worth a test note to see exactly what happens with your specific set-up.  I'd imagine that there's a hierarchy of fonts somewhere that says: "display this text in the original font.  If that's not available,  use the closest approximation available."  Your text should (MHO) come back in the original font roviding you don't alter the formatting when editing.  There are so many word-processing apps and so many combinations of OS and hardware thought that sometimes the 'closest approximation' may not appear to be be very close...  If in doubt,  do a test.

• Level 5*

As I said,  the standard way to deal with fonts is to embed the original preference in a document,  but default that to a close option if the font is not installed.  Unless you reformat the note you should be OK.  Can't suggest the Evernote rule - this is a user forum,  so we really don't know unless someone from the company leans in to comments - which happens only occasionally.

I have made tests.

Created a note with Helvetica Neue written on a Mac and Arial written on a Mac.

When opened on Windows, the Helvetica appears as Tahoma but if i had text and open it again on Mac, it is still Helvetica. It seems to remain the font of Mac.

I still don't have the real answer of how it is handled but it seems to work correctly.

Archived