Trying to figure out how to create a new notebook from a new note in "inbox"

I'm running into something that I can't figure out.

I have a new note sitting in in.

I look at the note and think, "Ohh, I need to create a new notebook for this in the XYZ stack"

I expect that when I click "Move Note to Notebook" that the dialog would have a "Create new Notebook" (possibly by right clicking on a stack)

(For windows, it's like when you save a file, and the dialog box has a "new directory" button - I use this feature just about every time I save a file)

Work flow I want

If this feature doesn't exist then I'm left with my current work flow which is

1) open note, ask "what is this"

2) decide, (if it's not trash) where to put it (in this case in a new notebook that doesn't exist)

3) use "Move Note to Notebook" to create the notebook I want and save the note there., 

If this feature doesn't exist then I'm left with my current work flow which is

1) open note, ask "what is this"

2) decide, (if it's not trash) where to put it (in this case in a new notebook that doesn't exist)

3) mentally exit the inbox and go find the stack I want to create a new notebook in.

4) create the new notebook

5) go back to the inbox and find the note I was looking at

6) use "Move Note to Notebook" find the notebook I just created 

6) or drag the note to the newly created notebook

Please tell me there is already a way to get the workflow I want.

• Level 5

<snip>

3) use "Move Note to Notebook" to create the notebook I want and save the note there., 

<snip>

That is not possible in Evernote Windows. The Notebook needs to exist before moving a note to it.

A common suggestion is to be cautious creating new notebooks, because the current maximum limit is 250 notebooks.

• Many long term users try to maintain a few generic notebooks with broad coverage (example: work, home, bills, leisure, misc)
  • Tags can be very specific and help drill down to the topic.

There are several other tips that make Evernote more powerful, especially when it comes to searching.

• Date coded title prefixes [YYYYMMDD]
  • Consistent and structured titles [date location subject person]
  • Tags all lowercase to avoid confusion or dupes
  • Tags have no spaces [hewlett-packard]
  • Keywords and spelling variants added to notes for improved search results
  • Random search code to link a group of similar notes together

edit: you don't have to do these suggestions. I'm just offering some ideas that have been frequently posted to make Evernote search more powerful. 

Malcolm - The way you present your issue and your words suggest to me that either you already have or you are expecting to build up a lot of Notebooks in your EN database. - - - I agree with jbenson2. Most experienced EN users recommend fewer Notebooks than more. - - - The reason is that EN offers several other effective ways (as outlined by jbenson2 above) to "categorize" your Notes.

If you are a relatively new EN user, I think you will find that the EN "Search" function is very powerful and you will become less concerned with Notebooks.

Thank you both.

I *am* new and I'm still getting used to how things work in evernote.

Thanks for the reminder on the limited number of notebooks.

There was an article I saved off recently about using tags to organize evernote, looks like I'm going to have to move that reading closer to the top of my list.

Archived