Using Evernote to save web images?

My hobby is art, and I often find inspiring images online. My "Art inspiration" folder on my computer is a bulging, unorganized mess. I want to start using Evernote to save images from the web.

Issue 1: Monthly upload limit. 60MB is far too little for me, so to bypass this I'll be linking images from the web. I can attach images to notes by dragging them onto the note from my browser. If the note is already online, does this count for my upload limit? Or is it (as I hope) simply linking to and showing the image from the web? Does this work the same for the web, desktop, and mobile clients?

Issue 2: Poor support for clipping images. The web clipper has a Right Click > Clip image option, but it can only send a single image to a note straight to the default notebook, without letting me tag it on the fly or anything like that. The only option I can see is to manually create each note, drag my images to the note (which is a pain with my smaller monitor, as I have to split my browser into two windows to see both the note and image), and name/tag the note then.

Am I missing something? Is there better support than I see for clipping web images?

Issue 3: URL association. When I save an image, I also want to save the URL of the page where I found it. If I must manually create a note like in Issue 2, how can I manually associate a URL with a note as if I had clipped it from the web? I'd prefer this over pasting the URL into the note body.

JZj4QAf.png

If the URL already exists, I can edit it. But I don't see how to add the URL in either the web or desktop clients.

My hobby is art, and I often find inspiring images online. My "Art inspiration" folder on my computer is a bulging, unorganized mess. I want to start using Evernote to save images from the web.

Issue 1: Monthly upload limit. 60MB is far too little for me, so to bypass this I'll be linking images from the web. I can attach images to notes by dragging them onto the note from my browser. If the note is already online, does this count for my upload limit? Or is it (as I hope) simply linking to and showing the image from the web? Does this work the same for the web, desktop, and mobile clients?

Issue 2: Poor support for clipping images. The web clipper has a Right Click > Clip image option, but it can only send a single image to a note straight to the default notebook, without letting me tag it on the fly or anything like that. The only option I can see is to manually create each note, drag my images to the note (which is a pain with my smaller monitor, as I have to split my browser into two windows to see both the note and image), and name/tag the note then.

Am I missing something? Is there better support than I see for clipping web images?

Issue 3: URL association. When I save an image, I also want to save the URL of the page where I found it. If I must manually create a note like in Issue 2, how can I manually associate a URL with a note as if I had clipped it from the web? I'd prefer this over pasting the URL into the note body.

JZj4QAf.png

If the URL already exists, I can edit it. But I don't see how to add the URL in either the web or desktop clients.

1: Upgrade to Evernote Plus and you have 1 GB. 60MB can be enough if you collect bookmarks to images. But if you going to collect images you will hit the limit quick.

If you bookmark the image and don't drag it in to Evernote it don't cost of your Quota. But if you put the images in a not it will cost.

Types of actions that use up your monthly upload data:

• Editing text inside a note

• Editing a file that's attached inside a note

• Rotating or deleting a picture inside a note

Upload limit FAQs

Another great solution that might kill a few birds with one stone:

On Windows you can set up an Evernote import folder on your desktop (Tools > Import folders). You can drag and drop images from the web into that folder, whether you have Evernote open or not, and it will sync them to your desktop client. You can specify a destination notebook... and later batch tag those notes if desired. You can set up multiple import folders on your desktop to distinguish between images that are for different projects. I've used this extensively for personal databases I've created from images on the web. 

Set up a local notebook on desktop (Mac/ Windows). The local notebook does not sync to EN servers and does not count toward your monthly upload limit. You can also direct a windows import folder to a local notebook. 

Also, dragging images to an import folder may not be a good workflow if you want to copy the URL at the time of saving the image... HOWEVER (and I just tested this out)... the Note title takes on the name of the image file you're dragging to an import folder on your desktop (or directly into your account). If you copy the note title (file name) to Google images, in many cases you'll find the image, linked to the site from whence it came. You could also drag any image into Google images to locate it on the web.

Another possibility might be to take a screenshot of the image together with your browser's address bar, which would contain the URL... and could easily be brought up again (if you're not in the habit of deleting your browser history) simply by typing in the first characters of the site name.

Archived