Which font and what size?

I've been an enthusiastic Evernote premium user for several years, but from time to time wish there was a little more consistency in the way fonts were represented across my different platforms. I should say I use a Mac - I own a MacBook, iMac, iPhone, and iPad. I wonder what most users set as their default font and size so that they have optimum reading and writing experience across platforms?

Currently my Evernote is set to Trebuchet 13pt and this appears ok on MacBook and iMac, and is of reasonable size on iOS devices - not too big, not to small, and reasonably aesthetically pleasing from a typographical perspective. Open Sans 13 is also good.

• Level 5*

I've been an enthusiastic Evernote premium user for several years, but from time to time wish there was a little more consistency in the way fonts were represented across my different platforms. I should say I use a Mac - I own a MacBook, iMac, iPhone, and iPad. I wonder what most users set as their default font and size so that they have optimum reading and writing experience across platforms?

I have found through much experimentation that the Verdana font is one of the easiest to read fonts on a screen.

So I have setup my Evernote default fonts like this:

• EN Mac:  Verdana 14 pt
  • EN Win:   Verdana 12 pt

The result is my notes have the same physical, on the screen, size in both Mac and Windows, and both are very easy to read while keeping a a very usable size.

All of my EN iOS notes look great -- easy to read.

• Level 5*

I have used Tahoma, and then Verdana, and now I use Segoe UI Symbol. all at 10 pt.  Somehow for me the Segoe. though a bit smaller is easier for me to read.  Must be rounded edges or something.

I have used Tahoma, and then Verdana, and now I use Segoe UI Symbol. all at 10 pt.  Somehow for me the Segoe. though a bit smaller is easier for me to read.  Must be rounded edges or something.

Thanks. Agree Segoe is attractive, but how is it interpreted by iOS devices?

Verdana 14pt on Mac is too big for my liking.

• Level 5*

Changing typeface, for me (and I'm a designer!) isn't worth it. I use EN on a Retina Macbook, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6, and 27" HiDPI Windows. They all display text at different sizes, so I use whatever is the default for each platform. I keep my MacBook and iOS using Helvetica because it's easier for me to think of my Apple products using the same typeface, and it's hard to change (or impossible? not sure) on iOS. On the Windows PC, I use Segoe UI, which is the typeface family used in the application interface text. Segoe is designed to perform well on Windows machines, and it really shows. 

And it's no problem when things show up differently on other devices, because they don't. As long as you type in the default typeface set, it'll use whatever is the default for that device. Segoe never shows up on iOS - only Helvetica. All Evernote platforms, to me, feel incredibly different. I don't bother trying to match up the type with each other, but rather just that single platform.

• Level 5*

Thanks. Agree Segoe is attractive, but how is it interpreted by iOS devices?

Verdana 14pt on Mac is too big for my liking.

What @chirmer said.  IOS is what it is no matter what I do on the PC.

Archived