At a conference and just winding up today. Decided to select all of the day's notes (lots of them) and turn them into dot points to make it easier to read. Fat fingers touched the check box instead. Notes all gone.

Goodbye Evernote. No use to me from this point forward. We are done.

What client (platform) were you on?

There is "Shake to undo" on iPhone, which was the only undo dynamic that was not so intuitive in the beginning.

Was there no way to undo the formatting/ editing action you took? While I do sympathize with your frustrating experience, I'm wondering why Evernote would be to blame.

Also, whether you stick with Evernote or not... What you should be able to do, especially after hours of note-taking (and if at any point you had synced to Evernote servers... i.e. had an internet connection)… you may be able to retrieve lost data with the "Notes History" feature on desktop... If you're a premium member (as long as you haven't deleted your note and emptied your trash). I'm not sure if Plus allows that.

Depending on how valuable your notes are… You may want to sign up for a month of premium in order to retrieve those notes... I'm not talking about what is or isn't fair… I'm talking about getting your valuable notes back - if at all possible.

At a conference and just winding up today. Decided to select all of the day's notes (lots of them) and turn them into dot points to make it easier to read. Fat fingers touched the check box instead. Notes all gone.

Goodbye Evernote. No use to me from this point forward. We are done.

Did you save your work as you went along? We must all take SOME responsibility for our own actions!

I learned this the hard way :-(

Another tip... If you have the little "Assistive touch" button showing, there is a way to activate "shake to undo" so that you don't have to shake your phone like a crazy person in public.

I think there needs to be an undo button, like on the iPad...

In order to salvage the contents of a note, one would need to go Premium... Sign into your desktop client... Hit the note information icon in the toolbar of your note... Bring up a previous version of your note.

Just to explain: Evernote saves a new version of each note edited "several times a day". This would have required an Internet connection... Plus you may not find the most recent content intact, up until the time the data was deleted. It really depends on when the last version of that note was saved. But if you had been taking notes the whole day and were connected to the Internet, you should be able to salvage a significant portion of your note.

Another possibility of saving your data might have been to put your phone into airplane mode as soon as the delete occurred (or somehow cut the Internet connection)... And then head to the web client on desktop to copy the contents of your note.

Remember that on iOS a note will only sync when you exit it. So as long as you stayed in an empty note, your info would have been able to be retrieved in any other device that wad synced to your account.

• Level 5*

I think there needs to be an undo button, like on the iPad...

Agreed.  I think this is very important.

In fact, Apple explicitly provides support for this.

From the Apple iOS Human Interface Guidelines:

Use the system-provided Undo and Redo buttons only if undo and redo are fundamental tasks in your app.

Remember that the shake gesture is the primary way users initiate undo and redo, and that it can be confusing to offer two different ways to perform the same task. If you decide it’s important to provide explicit, dedicated controls for undo and redo, you can place the system-provided buttons in the navigation bar. (To learn more about these buttons, see Toolbar and Navigation Bar Buttons.)

Archived