(Archived) No Templates in EN 3.0 Beta?

Will they be coming one day?

No. At least, definitely not in the form they had in EN2. We are considering adding the feature of inserting custom HTML snippets into the note, so you could design your HTML forms and make notes quickly by adding these forms into the note. The difference is that the latter are not 'automatic' -- there is no automatic calculation of table columns, for example -- but at the same time more flexible, as you can mix several of those within the same note.

• 3 weeks later...

I did not realize this until now. This is a HUGE problem for me. I have a decent collection of them and have tailored them for my work. May I ask why they have been removed? You went through the trouble of changing them for 2.2 only to do away them in 3? Makes no sense. Without them, Evernote loses much of the functionality that I wanted when I purchased the application.

This is a deal breaker.

I repeat my agreement that the lack of templates (or plans to implement them) in EN3 are, if not a deal-breaker, enough to make me either stick with 2.2.1 or (more likely) look for another solution. Based on the 2.2.1 templates, I even have some suggestions to make them function better from a user perspective.

I have a custom template (thanks Crane!) based on EN's Phone template that I rely on (yes, RELY ON) at my job. My Zionist masters have come to rely on it as well, and have learned how to use it and expect data from it.

Additionally, it should be noted that templates were the feature that caused me to explore EverNote in the first place.

I am just evaluating EN as an alternative to OneNote. I am not yet testing the Beta, because I have not received an invitation, but, I have to agree that without the templates I probably would not move from ON to EN. Plus, I have a problem with the local storage v. on-line storage plan.

My .02

I am just evaluating EN as an alternative to OneNote. I am not yet testing the Beta, because I have not received an invitation, but, I have to agree that without the templates I probably would not move from ON to EN. Plus, I have a problem with the local storage v. on-line storage plan.

My .02

I can give you an invite. Will send it tonight from my home computer.

My .02

I can give you an invite. Will send it tonight from my home computer.

Thank you, I appreciate that. I am still working through the EN forums trying to figure out if this is the direction I want to take. One of my concerns is that EN does not seem to hearing how the proposed changes in ver 3.0 are impacting long time users.

Wow, this is a real shame! I primarily use EN with templates and almost never just create a "freeform" note. Without the ability to use the templates, I think I'm going to be stuck at 2.2 also, or I'll have to find a different solution. I am very bummed about this. I was so looking forward to the new version. :)

Wow, this is a real shame! I primarily use EN with templates and almost never just create a "freeform" note. Without the ability to use the templates, I think I'm going to be stuck at 2.2 also, or I'll have to find a different solution. I am very bummed about this. I was so looking forward to the new version. :)

Being "stuck" on 2.2.1 isn't a bad thing, necessarily... 2.2.1 has really excellent features and usability for referencing notes, and very-good-to-excellent capturing capabilities. EN3.0b is good at COLLECTING notes but not good (at all) at referencing them.

If you're happy with the note collection in 2.2.1, you're "stuck" with the strongest product.

I am in the same boat as perryman in that I depend strongly on templates. 95% of my notes are from support calls with which I use a custom template.

As a beta, there is no shame, but they need to address the issue as it was one of it's strongest features imo. I was hoping for an improved version of the template system so you would not have to concern yourself with editable vs non-editable templates.

They should at least make 2.2 able to sync with the web once they are done with 3.0, if they don't include templates. I want to access my notes from my iPhone, but if I can't use the templates, I'm stuck like chuck... I mean perryman :).

My 2 cents worth.

On the other hand, these support notes are all work related.

I guess I should use a different DB for personal web clips and notes which I want available on the mobile phone and elsewhere. So I guess I could use one version for work (2.2) and the other (3.0) for home and on the go. I'm sure there are workarounds for items that I'd like to sync between the 2 versions?

I'm sure there are workarounds for items that I'd like to sync between the 2 versions?

Haha. As far as I can tell, you can go from 2.2 to 3, but not back again. I've been able to drag a note from 2.2 to 3, but there is no joy in the other direction. And, even though 3b has an Export... function, it only exports (right now at least) to html/mht/txt. So, you could lose information going the other way.

Archived