Feature Request - Local/Cloud File Tree inside EN

I would like to have the ability to integrate a local or Cloud file tree directly within EN. If you could associate specific locations within the file tree to EN Tags that have already been created, this would drastically improve work flow. For example, I use EN Tags to organize active projects (Using the GTD methodology). While I use EN to organize the various moving targets of projects, I find myself storing, and attempting to organize, files in both EN and on my hard drive (i.e. OneDrive/Dropbox folders). This becomes an issue when modifying, or creating new versions of files, because you now have to update in two locations (not good, humans suck at this). 

If you could view and associate file trees (and files themselves) in EN, this would eliminate this challenge. 

As a side note, I have used folder path links to implement a "poor mans" method of managing this... This, however, falls apart when working cross platform and still forces you to jump out of EN to capture your entire work flow. 

This might be of interest:

https://www.cloudhq.net/evernote

CloudHQ is a step in the right direction. I would much rather see EN create a seamless UI that hooks into the API of the various cloud services for this function. With CloudHQ, you are still forced out of EN (Into finder/explorer) to view related files. 

My daily workflow consist of EN, Outlook, Finder/Explorer, Remedy, and SalesForce - The more eliminated, the better :) 

@csihilling

I do put them in EN to a degree. A couple reasons I keep them local (Or in Onedrive/Dropbox) as well:

1. I prefer to see files, per project, in a list view (With all the associated sorting options) 
  2. Our local team shares Dropbox folders 
  3. I find it much easier to work with and share files via Dropbox/Onedrive/Local folders than storing all files associated with a project in a "project note". Some projects end up with hundreds of files, it just gets cluttered and hard to find what you are looking for when stored in a EN "Project" note (Even though EN search is fantastic). 
  4. I end up with files in both locations, and the version gets confusing (i.e. where is the latest version at)
  5. Microsoft Applications (Office, specifically on IOS and Andriod) work directly out of Dropbox and OneDrive 
  6. Most importantly, I have redundancy in backing up local files to a NAS. 
  • Level 5*

Thanks for the detail.  Hundreds of files does make it a bit more complicated and the Office integration sounds key.  I'm assuming that when you say storing all files in a project note you meant a note per file?  Anyway, have you ever looked at any project management specific software for this.  Some do a good job of incorporating supporting documents, though without the search capability of an EN.  Again thanks for sharing.

• Level 5*

As a side note, I have used folder path links to implement a "poor mans" method of managing this... This, however, falls apart when working cross platform and still forces you to jump out of EN to capture your entire work flow. 

If you set this up properly, it can actually work.  I have just such a system on multiple Macs using Evernote and DropBox.

Key Setup Elements to Make it work:

1. Setup the DropBox local path to be the same on all users who will share the files
    1. For example:

C:\Users\Shared\Dropbox\ProjectA\ProjectPlan.docx

2. Thus, when you create a Link in Evernote, the path will be the same for all users, and clicking on the link in Evernote will open the same file for all users
    3. If you have any Mac users, you would have to create two links in Evernote, one for Windows and one for Mac
  2. If preferred, you can create the link in Evernote using the DropBox web URL, which will also work for everyone.
  3. DropBox can provide versioning
  4. Store the files ONLY in Dropbox (links to them in Evernote)

Good luck with your project, and let us know how it goes.

Archived