dictating in evernote slow to text, stops after about 20 words

I use an iPad 2. After dictating approx 20 words, a blue clockwise circling arrow is seen and it may be 30 secs before I can dictate again. Is this Normal ?

Also there are some words evernote does not seen to recognise and then the recording stops.

When it records correctly evernote is brilliant

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote's speech to text function requires a network connection and (AFAIK) some online processing,  so the speed of your connection might be an issue here.  Can't comment on the normality or otherwise of the hiccups - I don't use my mobile app in that way.  I'd be interested to hear anyone else's experience too.  Meantime - what's your connection?  Mobile data or local wifi?  Have you run any speed tests on it?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote's speech to text function requires a network connection and (AFAIK) some online processing,  so the speed of your connection might be an issue here.  Can't comment on the normality or otherwise of the hiccups - I don't use my mobile app in that way.  I'd be interested to hear anyone else's experience too.  Meantime - what's your connection?  Mobile data or local wifi?  Have you run any speed tests on it?

@Gaz:  Since you don't even use Apple iOS devices, I'm not sure what help you can reliably offer here.

@David Hall:

I'm pretty sure the speech-to-text you see in the Evernote iOS app is provided by the Apple iOS system.  Pretty much any where in iOS where you see/use a microphone in the iOS keyboard, the service is provided by Apple iOS.

You might test the speech-to-text in other apps, like the Apple Notes app, and see if it responds like it does in the Evernote app.

I will say that, in general, the iOS speech-to-text feature is designed more for short blocks of speech, about a sentence or so.

I have found it works best to speak a sentence or so, then tap the "Done" button to see the text.  Continue repeating in short blocks of speech until you have finished.  IMO, it is NOT designed for long blocks of speech like you might have at a lecture or meeting.

Having said that, it appears that Apple has made some change with iOS 8 to improve the process, no longer requiring as frequent tapping of the "Done" button.  The best thing to do is just do a serious of tests in Apple Notes to find the right balance.  Then try it in Evernote.

If Evernote is not responding as well, then it might be a BUG and/or design flaw in Evernote.

For more info see:  

Voice dictation is now done in real time on iOS 8 

This does require a decent Internet speed to work, with a minimum of around 3Mbps up/down IME.  YMMV.  Naturally, the faster the better.

The response saying ' Pretty much any where in iOS where you see/use a microphone in the iOS keyboard, the service is provided by Apple iOS' was very very useful

I thought the max of 20-30 words was an evernote issue. I did the same dictation in Apple notes and again 20-30 words was about the max.

Pushing 'DONE' and starting again also overcomes the problem - but does not solve the problem.

Are evernote Plus or Premium likely to allow more words to be dictated than evernote basic?

I think my iOS version is 8.1 (128 GB. May 2015 iPad purchase)

20-30 words is a serious limitation  

• Level 5*

If you see a dictation limitation of 20-30 words in Apple Notes, then it has nothing to do with Evernote version.  So EN Plus or Premium would not make any difference.

I don't know of any iOS dictation apps that support long blocks of speech.

If that is really what you need, then most likely you will need to record the speech in an audio file, and have it transcribed.

If you can use a Mac or PC, there there are apps like Dragon NaturallySpeaking that are reported to do speech-to-text fairly well.

However, I have not used any of these apps, so I cannot vouch for them.

Archived