(Archived) I... hate... tags.

But, I love Evernote.

Am I alone here? Just give the ability to create sub-folders and I'm happy. I mean - I get tags, I understand there use - I just don't see them as an effective way to sort through information. It may be that I just I hate the fact that I can't remember if I tagged something for work, or receipt, or computer, or amazon... whatever.

Please, can't you give sub-folders. PLEASE?

Thank you.

It may be that I just I hate the fact that I can't remember if I tagged something for work, or receipt, or computer, or amazon... whatever.

If you can't remember how you tagged a note, how would you remember which notebook or even sub-notebook you put it in??? And using EN's search effectively, IE "Western Digital USB drive" would find the note receipt where you bought a hard drive for work from Amazon no matter how you tagged it or what notebook you put it in., even if it got accidentally stuck in the "Tuba lessons" notebook.

You could see tags as folder paths and use a convention like "Finance/Receipts/McDonalds" for your tag names.

And...if you remember enough about it to use "Finance/Receipts/McDonalds", you can do the same thing with tags. What happens if you forget whether you had that coffee at McDonalds or Starbucks or Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf? You don't have to go through all the sub folders of receipts...just look at all the notes tagged receipts. Or refine that search by using the tag of 'receipts' & a search term of 'coffee'.

I think people tend to over think tags. You don't always need to tag a note. Using accurate titles is often enough. If you want a report that is a compliation of things (IE expense report), then tags are good.

Not every note needs to be tagged b/c Evernote's search function is so amazing.

Archived