Search Syntax

Is it possible to have 2 or more search criteria within the same search?

ie search all notes for a tag called "ToDo"

AND

search the "To Do" stack for todo:false

any assistance appreciated.

Malcolm K.

• Level 5*

You can only have one context in a search, so you can't search all notes and an individual stack at the same time, one or the other.  Not a problem if all notes in the Stack ToDo are tagged with ToDo though.  So I'm guessing you have some notes tagged ToDo that aren't in that stack? 

Yes. I have a stack for general to do's, like jobs my better half is assigning to me. I have other stacks for different projects, such as my car or caravan that have tasks that I have to complete. What I am trying to do is search the to do stack for all of the unchecked check boxes, ie uncompleted jobs from the management, as well as open tasks, tagged todo,  in my projects.

Looks like 2 separate searches required.But this is still an awesome product.

Thanks for your quick response.

Malcolm K.

Yes. I have a stack for general to do's, like jobs my better half is assigning to me. I have other stacks for different projects, such as my car or caravan that have tasks that I have to complete. What I am trying to do is search the to do stack for all of the unchecked check boxes, ie uncompleted jobs from the management, as well as open tasks, tagged todo,  in my projects.

Looks like 2 separate searches required.But this is still an awesome product.

Thanks for your quick response.

Malcolm K.

It is a good product in many ways but the search capabilities are really pathetic compared to gmail and many other services. They really need some way to set up more complex searches.

Cheers

Roy

@roybat... got any personal daily/ frequent use cases you might want to share with us where Evernote's search capabilities are "really pathetic"? There might just  be a few ways to get around the limitations you are currently experiencing. 

I just worked out how to get around the main one using the "any:" operator. Got the info buried in the examples of https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php. My fristration was that I couldn't get an OR operator to work so that I could find files tagged "Thailand" OR "Laos" OR "Sri Lanka". In gmail this would be label:Thailand OR label:Laos OR label:"Sri Lanka". I have found out that in evernote you need to use any: tag:Thailand tag:Laos tag:"Sri Lanka". It is  ashame that evernote doesn't have a search or filter form to assist the way that gmail does.

Cheers, Roy

Archived