Evernote Reminders

I love the Evernote reminders and I use them all the time in my university workflow.

However, for simple "tasks" like "Do XXX homework" (for example), where I only need to set the day to do the task on and not a specific time, it is a bit cumbersome (especially when I sync Evernote reminders to a third-party calendar). 

If there's something I'm missing here for reminders, let me know. 

If not, I'd like to see the ability to set the time as an "optional" feature, not a required one when you add a date to your reminders. 

PS: I use Evernote across these platforms: Windows, IOS and Android

Thank you!

• Level 5*

Hi.  No options that I'm aware of,  though depending on the difficulty you could maybe have a 'template' note set up for those subjects and then all you have to do is add the reminder...maybe?

If you use a third party calendar,  wouldn't it be easier just to have a repeating reminder set up for the applicable days "do homework" without any specifics?  It should prompt you to remember what's outstanding..  on the days (if any) when there's no homework set you can just chill happily..

In a 3rd-party Calendar, such as Google/ iOS, one can set an "All-day task" which sits at the top of the interface. That's not time-sensitive/ specific. You could just bypass the Evernote reminder and/ or create a link in whatever to-do app/ system you're using to the appropriate Evernote note. 

For your purposes, syncing your Evernote Reminders to, say, Sunrise Calendar is not really the way to go (since you don't necessarily want to set a scheduled time initially)... but one thing you could do is just set a generic time - say, 5am, for all the reminder notifications in Evernote. Either way, you would also receive an email notifying you of all the reminders set for a certain day... on the day. If your Evernote reminders are pushed to a 3rd-party calendar, they would appear out of the way before your days' scheduled events start (and can be shuffled around accordingly on the day). 

Personally I use a fully manual system, WorkFlowy, to organize my life. I set up a manual calendar of sorts for non time-specific stuff. 

You could also create a manual calendar system in Evernote, using either tags or notebooks, whereby you set a simple reminder (no date/ time) and manage your reminders manually in a logical, chronological layout. I tinkered with a few systems a while back and this is one such setup I came up with (you may or may not be inspired):

http://www.productivitymashup.com/blog/2014/10/16/kanban-calendar-evernote-series-2-of-5

• Level 5*

A simple timeless day task has some merit for sure.  I use Sunrise as a visual tool for reminders, but the hour duration and time can be a pain.  On the other hand it is easier to move reminders around when things happen,  IAC, if you want to keep the tasks off of a calendar you could create tags from 1 to 31 for each day of the month and assign them to the homework tasks.  

Other than the calendar issue, using reminders in snippet view doesn't have to be time based.

A simple timeless day task has some merit for sure. I use Sunrise as a visual tool for reminders, but the hour duration and time can be a pain. On the other hand it is easier to move reminders around when things happen, IAC, if you want to keep the tasks off of a calendar you could create tags from 1 to 31 for each day of the month and assign them to the homework tasks.

Other than the calendar issue, using reminders in snippet view doesn't have to be time based.

Agreed, agreed and agreed (Sunrise Calendar/ tickler-file-like tag system/ simple reminders in snippet view.)

2 of my posts in the series linked to above deal with both reminders in snippet view and a nested tag-based ad hoc calendar system.

My hangup with Sunrise Calendar is that they block out an hour for an Evernote Reminder, while iOS reminders show PERFECTLY (Just an unobtrusive checkmark/ bullet point and a 1-line cue superimposed over any other elements at the hour mark).

• Level 5*

......, while iOS reminders show PERFECTLY (Just an unobtrusive checkmark/ bullet point and a 1-line cue superimposed over any other elements at the hour mark).

Good to know, thanks.  But my self imposed keep reminder stuff in one place objective (other than FUT) blocks my adoption.  <Shoulder shrugging angst>   ;)

Cal, Sunrise Calendar might just then be the remedy for you: Evernote reminders, which you already use, A host of other integrations including Trello... Google Calendar and iCal... iOS Reminders... reminders via Google Now on Android... Is there anything missing that you might need to consolidate on Sunrise Calendar? Or are you talking about using one app for your input?  

BTW, my use of iOS Reminders is for time-specific reminders, and not necessarily related to blocks of time. I find it amazing how one can just dictate to Siri, "Remind me to check the oven in 30 minutes"... and leave it at that. Now I get to see my iOS reminders spaced out on Sunrise Calendar. A beautiful thing. My use of reminders, BTW, I don't consider to be part of my to-do repertoire. What I am excited about is that WorkFlowy will be coming out with reminders in the future. Can't wait.

• Level 5*

Frank,

I set/create/close all my reminders using the relevant notes in EN.  I do use Sunrise from time to time so as to have a visual perspective for my dated reminders, in an EN only view.  I keep my calendar in Thunderbird (using Google), but don't add that calendar to Sunrise, too messy with the reminders and the TB/Google calendar works for me.  Personal choices.

And I do use Siri for the ad hoc stuff you reference.  I just find most of my tasks are related to notes I have created.  Could be a self fulling prophecy though I suppose.

Archived