Issues updating account login email

I want to change my email address. When I enter my new email address it says it is already in use. IMPOSSIBLE. I never had the email when I registered. Besides, I still get emails at my old email address and need to redirect it to my new one. Steven

• Level 5*

Hi.  Changing your account email address should be a straightforward operation.  The fact that you're getting 'address in use' warnings may indicate that you've already been successful.  What address do you see when you log in to your account page online?  (Make sure you clear your browser cache to see the latest information).

• 2 weeks later...

I am having this exact same problem.

I used to have an Evernote account with the other address, but have since deactivated that account. I don't know what else to do to completely removed that email address to make it available.

• Ex Employees

I used to have an Evernote account with the other address, but have since deactivated that account. I don't know what else to do to completely removed that email address to make it available.

Even if you deactivate your account, your email address will still be associated with it. Try reactivating, changing your email address, and deactivating again. Once you've done this you should be able to use the email address on the new account.

You can use these instructions to update your email address: https://evernote.com...rticle/24935568

Even if you deactivate your account, your email address will still be associated with it. Try reactivating, changing your email address, and deactivating again. Once you've done this you should be able to use the email address on the new account.

You can use these instructions to update your email address: https://evernote.com...rticle/24935568

Hmm.. I think there's a catch-22 situation here.

Let's say my unused account X has address A.

My main account Y has address B, which I am no longer use, and wanna update to A.

I've deactivated account X. Even when I reactivate X, what email address do I change it to? I can't be B as that's also in used. Or should I use a fake email address?

• Level 5*

If the account is going to stay deactivated you don't need to have a working email address.  Made.Up@server.com would do...  (But make sure there's nothing in that account that you will need - ever.)

If the account is going to stay deactivated you don't need to have a working email address.  Made.Up@server.com would do...  (But make sure there's nothing in that account that you will need - ever.)

It doesn't. However, I can't point it to a made up email address, because I cannot confirm it.

You might try logging out and back in with the new email to check if you have been successful or might have accidentally create a separate/second account with your desired email address. 

Make sure you are following these instructions to update your email address: https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/105379906

Just tried again. I got the same result. I even tried another email address and it gave the same result. The link quoted is what I did. The other article linked is not what is being discussed in this thread.

I need a REAL answer to my issue, please.

• Level 5*

@tridnguyen

Sorry about the fake address fail - it worked when I tried is a while ago,  guess it doesn't now.  However a random email address - even one that is valid for only a short period - is very easy to obtain.  Please search for options.  "Temporary email" gets over 50M hits...

@StevenFeil

As to real answers,  if the Evernote KB isn't helping,  I'm not sure what will.  You could report "login/account access issue" in the first dropdown after logging in here> https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

Premium / Business users also have access to a Chat option (7am-7pm PST weekdays) - click 'continue' on the support page after logging in.
  • 7 months later...

It seems that I am having the same problem as the others having closed the email address for which I originally logged in and attempting to change to my current email address. I do not want my address of record to be a fake email address. Is there any other option than just to discontinue using Evernote.

• Level 5*

It seems that I am having the same problem as the others having closed the email address for which I originally logged in and attempting to change to my current email address. I do not want my address of record to be a fake email address. Is there any other option than just to discontinue using Evernote.

Hi.  Your address of record doesn't become a temporary email.  If your address is already in use in another account,  the idea is to replace that address with a temporary email if you don't have a second valid email address available.  You then deactivate that account (removing all personal details) and leave its empty husk on the server.  This frees up your preferred email address to go into another account. If your email address isn't in use elsewhere in Evernote,  changing the address is simply a matter of logging into the Settings page above and typing a new one.  If you're having particular problems with that please let us know.

Archived