Issue with Evernote Desktop Client Display

Shannon Shaner

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I wanted to see if anyone else had solved this issue before I opened up a support ticket.

I use the Evernote desktop client on my Windows 8.1 Asus Zenbook. I like to look at my notebooks in the List View, so that I can see all the details about the notes laid out. When I'm using EN like this, it tends to get laggy and if I scroll down through my list of notes, all of the text in the list will disappear. If I mouse over it, the text comes back, so it's not a permanent issue, but it happens pretty much every time I use EN.

I've got 8gb of RAM and 187 notes in the notebook where it happens most frequently (none of the others have enough notes to require scrolling through yet).

Has anyone dealt with this?

• Level 5*

OK this is a sledgehammer/ nut thing,  but the first check is to make sure that your copy of Evernote actually installed properly,  plus restoring any factory settings that might have been overwritten by accident.  Easy way to do that is simply to use the Control Panel Programs icon to uninstall Evernote,  then restart and reinstall as Administrator if you can. 

This won't affect your 300 notes,  but now (ie before you reach for the sledgehammer) is as good a time as any to start a good habit - copy your Databases folder* somewhere safe as a backup. 

If/ when it gets larger you can zip it for convenience,  but remember to do this regularly and keep 3-5 copies as history just in case.  If anything bad happens to your desktop,  or to your internet connection,  they'll be a lifesaver.

*normally C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases

• Level 5*

You might also check if you have any other apps running in the background or systems utility type software.  This could very well be an EN issue, but something else may be utilizing resources.

• Level 5*

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I wanted to see if anyone else had solved this issue before I opened up a support ticket.

I use the Evernote desktop client on my Windows 8.1 Asus Zenbook. I like to look at my notebooks in the List View, so that I can see all the details about the notes laid out. When I'm using EN like this, it tends to get laggy and if I scroll down through my list of notes, all of the text in the list will disappear. If I mouse over it, the text comes back, so it's not a permanent issue, but it happens pretty much every time I use EN.

I've got 8gb of RAM and 187 notes in the notebook where it happens most frequently (none of the others have enough notes to require scrolling through yet).

Has anyone dealt with this?

You might try these troubleshooting techniques:

(Test after each item)

1. Sign out of Evernote, restart your PC, sign back in to Evernote
  2. Confirm that you can see all your notes in EN Web client at Evernote.com
  3. Reinstall the Evernote app
    1. This reinstalls just the app and should not affect your data
    2. But to be safe, If you have any Local Notebooks, export to ENEX files
    3. See  Evernote KB Article: How do I uninstall and reinstall Evernote [App]?

If you are still experiencing the lagging behavior, then I would Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

Archived