(Archived) Formatting lost between Macs

martin47

Idea

I subscribed to the Premium service because Evernote tests had shown it is a very very useful product.

Now I am encountering serious problems making me reconsider:

Even between several Macs, when notes in Evernote get synchronised they constantly loose their formatting. Okay loosing Bold characters isn't serious, but losing LINE BREAKS is a serious affaire. There are references to this on the Evernote support pages ("we're working on it") but this question needs the very prompt attention of the company's developers. Should it not be addressed and resolved quickly, I will certainly stop using Evernote - because, worst defect of all, it is not reliable.

PS : I would have said this privately to support if the site had an email form to contact support. So my complain goes public.

MR

(Account: 87349578342248 - should someone wish to reply personally -it's friendlier!)

9 replies to this idea

Thanks for your reply. That you are working on the problem is encouraging, but very frankly, given the amount of text in my notes that is being garbled at each synchronisation - in certain cases to such an extent that the lost line breaks make everything totally unreadable - I have suspended using my - premium - evernote or at least I am no longer entering any new text notes UNTIL this issue is perfectly resolved. I will be precise my problem is NOT a consequence of synchronising between different platforms: all my connections are from Macs. Neither does it appear to be a question of fonts.

You will understand that having placed my confidence in a premium service with now such a letdown I am pretty disillusionned.

Regards

I have the same issues here. New user who is using the notes on Mac, Web, and iPhone. Majority of text doesnt format properly in a readable form on the web or iphone. All my text is fairly basic formating of list or agendas. Many times cut and paste from Text Edit, an email, or MS Word. Even when I try to keep things very simple it is still hosed up!

I seen this complained about many times but really no good advice from Evernote except a very old note back in Oct 2008 which states to convert everything to Plain Text. Isnt this missing the whole point of the product?

There is so much potential in your product and was really excited when I first started using it. Take some of time and energy spent on the "Marketing" Blog and advanced features and fix the basic formatting problem that's been plaqueing the product for 18 months. Its use is very restricted as it is. I am certainly not going to pay for premium account until this gets fixed.

PS - Sorry for the rant, if anyone had some good advice on how to manage formatting please reply.

Help! I have the same problem. A very large document that I pasted into Evernote from a text editor on the Mac has lost all line breaks and all I'm left with is a gigantic unusable blob of text. Is there any way to fix the problem other than going through the entire document and hitting enter a million times?

Having initiated this thread now over a month ago, and after having totally stopped using Evernote because the problem is a major one, I note today that there is no indication that a solution has been found or provided. With due respect to the programmers and management of this potentially very useful utility, I have to say that as a paid-up premium member (but now renewal cancelled) I feel pretty sour. Your latest newsletter overflows with good news for other users, but there is no news about the "lost line-breaks mashup" with Macs! I'll check back next month, but I don't see much hope.

Regards

MR

I'm having the same problem. I'm in the market for alternatives, at this point. The sync-anywhere feature of Evernote is a huge draw, but only if it works. At this point I've lost enough time and heartache unbreaking documents that I'm about done.

Yes, I should just stick to plaintext-only. But sometimes life gets the better of me and I slip in an underline or a bold! And then all is lost :)

The problems still occurs a year and a half later (3.0.0.b1)

It may look unimportant to you guys, but it's major - no formatting, no point using Evernote. I am not going to manually recreate those notes. I'd rather start using Google Docs (which is free and without limits).

When do you guys think this is going to be fixed?

Archived