Do I need to delete notes when I move notes to a different notebook?

Hi

new to Evernote and the forum so I will say Hello.

I have been trying out EN and I have successfully made a few notes which appear in  ALL NOTES.

I then named 2 notebooks Forums and recipes.

I dragged 2 of the notes into each notebook.

The notes appear in the notebook and all is well!

Thinking I could now delete the notes I found that the contents of the notebook had also been deleted.

Does this mean that you have to keep all your notes.

Hope this is clear and someone can help.

Thanks

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the start of your learning curve..  the All notes display does exactly what it says on the title:  it shows you all your notes in all notebooks.  Every note has to be in one notebook or another,  there's no such thing as a note without a notebook.  If it doesn't have a specific one assigned to it,  a new note will go into your 'default notebook'.  You can however set up other notebooks and in the All Notes view,  you can drag a note from the default notebook into your new notebook.  That doesn't change the view - you're still seeing all your notes,  it's just that one or more of them is now assigned to a new notebook.  They're not copies,  and you don't have two notes.  If you delete a note from the all notes view,  as you've found,  you permanently delete it.  So you don't have to keep any notes you don't want to ,  just remember that the All Notes view is exactly that.  To see only the notes in one notebook,  first select the notebook.

Archived