Notebooks in chaos

Happy New Year everybody. Brand new year, brand new problem. I opened my client and found that my notebooks, down the left panel, were wildly out of order. I thought it was just a sorting problem, so I looked into it. Didn't find anything of that nature addressed anywhere. Then I looked closer and, it's not just that the notebooks are no longer in alphabetical order, the stacks are messed up in some exciting new ways. I have a lot of stacks. For example, I'll use my stack titled "books," which contains seven or eight notebooks with particular book titles. Right now, if I scroll through my notebook lists, I'll find seven or eight different stacks called "books," each with just one title within it. Instead of one big stack, I now have a slew of little ones, and this applies to every stack I ever created. To further the confusion, these mini stacks aren't even near each other anymore, due to the fact that it's no longer alphabetized. It's crazy, and I haven't had a single drop to drink tonight. I should mention that the web version is okay, with all notebooks in their proper place. 
I'm using the latest EN on a Windows 7 machine. Like others, I get whacked with freezing problems several times a day, so I haven't been using the client much. Does anyone have any idea what might have caused the disarray within my little army of notebooks? Restarting the program didn't help, nor did signing out and signing back in again. I'm absolutely stumped.

I know you've already done this many times,  but it sounds like a(nother) database rebuild may be in your near future... 

I can always count on you, Gazumped. I think in my heart, I knew that was the answer. Now, does this mean simply renaming the Evernote folder again? I have only 2,000 notes and none local, so that was at least relatively easy. Thanks for weighing in. I'd rather just blitz everything now than spend a week trying different tweaks only to come to the same conclusion.

Yup.  File > Exit Evernote if it's running and Rename away...

Wow. Thought for sure that would work. The rebuild brought back all of my notes, but the notebooks are still wildly out of order. Maybe even more chaotic than before. Very strange stuff. Would a Revo uninstall be called for her, or is that just a more elaborate version of what I just did?

• Level 5*

Double wow.  If Evernote Web shows your notebooks in correct order,  renewing the folder should have copied the web version to your desktop.  I guess it's possible that there's a corrupted CSS file (or a DB equivalent) that's messing things up,  but I really don't know.  Up to you whether you want to play some more,  but I'd agree with the Revo thing - with one adjustment.  The Support guys get all fired up that nuking the installation from orbit deletes all the transaction histories that might give them a clue as to what went wrong - so what I'd suggest is:  grab a copy of your Activity Log first,  then lock and load Revo and give it both barrels.  If all else fails,  the Log might give them some clues what went wrong,  because the next step (I think) is to try a support ticket - see if there are any New Year's Resolutions from support that are working in your favour...

Double wow.  If Evernote Web shows your notebooks in correct order,  renewing the folder should have copied the web version to your desktop.  I guess it's possible that there's a corrupted CSS file (or a DB equivalent) that's messing things up,  but I really don't know.  Up to you whether you want to play some more,  but I'd agree with the Revo thing - with one adjustment.  The Support guys get all fired up that nuking the installation from orbit deletes all the transaction histories that might give them a clue as to what went wrong - so what I'd suggest is:  grab a copy of your Activity Log first,  then lock and load Revo and give it both barrels.  If all else fails,  the Log might give them some clues what went wrong,  because the next step (I think) is to try a support ticket - see if there are any New Year's Resolutions from support that are working in your favour...

Excellent idea. I haven't even gone the support route yet. Typically, I find more answers right here in this forum. I'll grab a log, start a ticket, and eventually go all Revo on EN's ass. I've gotten used to using the web interface, but it sure would be good to have the desktop client in working order again. Thanks for your help. I'll jump back and report how it turns out.

Make it a triple wow. I did the complete uninstall, including the registry, with Revo. Reinstalled the program and was really confident that my notebooks would be in order when all was said and done. Nope. Same issue -- stacks dismantled, nothing listed alphabetically. I don't even have a vague guess as to what's causing this. Maybe poltergeist or goblins. There's no logic to it that I can see. Notebooks all over the place, with duplicates everywhere. I did start a ticket. It'll be interesting to see what they advise.

• 6 months later...

Any update on this issue?  I recently experienced the same thing and would love to know if a solution exists.

I never found one. I've been stuck on 5.6.4 for many months now, and don't even try to update any further. EN support tried to troubleshoot this, but in my case, they never got anywhere. I ultimately replaced my hard drive with an SSD to cure the varous other Evernote woes. Things are working great for me, but it required a major computer upgrade and I can no longer install newer updates, so... bleh.

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, gazumped said:

Sympathies but no new solutions,  sorry...  :(

That's nuts. I use the newest version on my machine at work. I haven't noticed any features that are so awesome that I can't live without them. Back to 5.6.4 I go. I'm sure I'll be back in here in a year or so when I forget about the issue again and go for the update. Heh.

Archived