sometimes asks me for password, but if I quit and restart, then it doesn't!

mlevin77

Idea

I'm using Evernote on a Mac laptop (10.8) and I see the following weird behavior. When I double-click the Evernote icon, 90% of the time the app starts and everything is fine - I see my latest notes. About 10% of the time, I get the smaller window asking me to log in. The crazy thing is that if I quit, and immediately try it again (run Evernote), it almost always works fine. Why does it happen? Worse, yesterday I saw the following behavior:

- I made a new note
    - I quit Evernote (which I assume means it synced, as it does before quitting)
    - I double-clicked the app icon and it asked me to log in. I quit and restarted it again, and I see my notes. BUT
    - the new note (and recent edits I made) aren't there! How is that possible - even if it didn't sync, shouldn't the local version be here? Where did they go?
    - I quit again, restarted, and saw it say "migrating from previous version" but that was only up for a second, then it disappeared
    - then I saw the notes again, this time with my new note and updated content in other notes.

What is it doing??

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Sounds like your laptop updated Evernote and was busy reconfiguring itself when you added a brand new note which took a while to go through the process and add itself to your reindexed database.  Can't comment on the random password requests - I'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote unless a Mac person can come up with something less fundamental...

• Level 5*

- the new note (and recent edits I made) aren't there! How is that possible - even if it didn't sync, shouldn't the local version be here? Where did they go?

- I quit again, restarted, and saw it say "migrating from previous version" but that was only up for a second, then it disappeared

Sounds like something else was going on while you added the note - are you up to 6.0.5 now?  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/79277-evernote-for-mac-605-releases-app-store-and-download/

Sounds like something else was going on while you added the note - are you up to 6.0.5 now?  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/79277-evernote-for-mac-605-releases-app-store-and-download/

no I'm still on 5.7 - after I upgraded to 6 on my other computer and hated the new interface (and saw all the problems people have been reporting with 6), I've not been updating on my other clients...

Probably wise - there are drawbacks to trying to stop time and stay with one version,  but a new update always seems to lead to busy times on the forums...  Give it another few weeks!

I know, I hate trying to stay in the past but I'm not filled with confidence based on what I see in the forums re. the new versions, and I HATE the new white interface ... Waiting to see what happens.

Archived